Gone Wireless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got tired of the wired world. For father's day my son (almost 10 months old and a genius) got me the new Linksys Wireless-G v2 w/ SpeedBooster wireless router. He's so considerate.

Now I can use my laptop anywhere and still have my desktop set up as a printer server.

I'm a happy man!

We are wireless here, as well, and my husband totes his laptop all over the house and yard. My daughter's middle school issues laptops to all the students (crazy, if you ask me...) and she can use her laptop and go online, with mucho restrictions, anywhere in or near our house, or anywhere near a public library or internet cafe, hotel, or other location that has a wireless network. 8)

Wow, Bearfan, since your son can't drive yet, he must have ordered the wireless box online! :lol:

We have a wireless router too -- I can sit down here at the kitchen counter, with my fishies, and use the printer upstairs at the same time!

I know this is so bad.....I've lived in my current neighborhood for about a year now and there must be at least 15 signals and I pick up most of them with my wireless router. Can't really complain about free internet.

well.. i have wireless btu i mainly use the computer still connected to it because its alot faster

and I pick up most of them with my wireless router. Can't really complain about free internet.
HAHA Sweet.
we share 10gig 1500-12000 kb/ps wireless lan with our neighbour.
splits the bill nicely.
soon to network the 2 laptops for ULTIMATE GAMING.

wow thats alot!. we proballly go at 500-1000 im guessing. and im sure its more than it is.

My desktop is still wired, and it's my gaming machine. The router has normal wired ports as well.

I've set my router up over a secure connection requiring the installation of a pass key to log on (WPA Pre-Secured Key I think is what it's called) to prevent anonymous logons. I also log everything so I can pick up on that kind of stuff.

I've set my router up over a secure connection requiring the installation of a pass key to log on (WPA Pre-Secured Key I think is what it's called) to prevent anonymous logons. I also log everything so I can pick up on that kind of stuff.

How do you set that up? I have gone wireless as well but don't know how to set that up, also how do I set up to use my printer?
I can sit down here at the kitchen counter, with my fishies, and use the printer upstairs at the same time!

My router has that security option in the wireless security tab, then basically you generate a pass key and install it on your laptop. I don't know how new a security idea this is, but my router just became available up here anyway and I hadn't seen it before.

I've yet to set up the printer, I'll probably work on that tonight.

Tim, unless your doing substantal file sharing between PC's on your local network (ie between two or more PC's in your home), your not communicating at 100mbps anyway. All WAN communication (ie internet) is going to be limited to your internet access speed and that in the best case with cable modems is only gonig to be a few mbps like 1-5mbps depending on provider and overall network load.

My router has that security option in the wireless security tab, then basically you generate a pass key and install it on your laptop. I don't know how new a security idea this is, but my router just became available up here anyway and I hadn't seen it before.

Well that much was easy. Thanks

Quote:

Well that much was easy. Thanks

Or so I thought, Set up my desktop, got the key and went to my laptop and it connected right away with out the key?

I upgraded all my core switches to a gig, my pc and added 3 ap, so I can do gig 100 or 54 , but i still like to fix pc's in the bathroom with wireless he he..

Its best to enable WAP encryption at the highest bit level possible. Set the SSID to be non broadcast aswell. The WAP encryption can be broken but the higher the bit level the longer it will take and by not enabling WAP your asking folks to use your internet for free. Remember if they are on your internet and they do something BAD the law will come after you not them. By disabling the SSID the access point will not advertise that its out there. A person might see there is a signal but they wont know the SSID to connect. This is also a good reaoson to change the SSID from the default to something unique and not something like your last name or anything easily identifiable by an unwelcomed war wagon parked on the curb.

The final bit of advice is to change the admin password on the access point from the default again to something unique and not so easily guessed. You think thats something that is fairly intuitive to do right away but many many people dont change it and basicly leave themselves open to have someone hack into the unit and change settings and hen change the password to lock them out of their own device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom