Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Good Apps

Does anyone know of a good IPhone app that identifies fish and their living conditions in aquariums? And also what fish are good with other fish?
__________________

__________________
Jarrod4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
I've looked through all the fish apps on the AppStore, and unfortunately they all cost money and don't sound very good according to the preview and the reviews. The best app is probably the one you're using right now on your phone!

What kind of fish do you have in mind?
__________________

__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Well right now I have four swordtails, one Cory and a irendecent shark. I was thinking of getting an peacock eel?!?
__________________
Jarrod4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,410
Moved to The Lounge
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod4UA
Well right now I have four swordtails, one Cory and a irendecent shark. I was thinking of getting an peacock eel?!?
What size tank do you have? Just out of curiosity do you know how big that iridescent shark gets?! Here's a little info:

Scientific Name : Pangasius hypophthalmus
Common Names : Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish, Sutchi Catfish, Striped Catfish, Thailand Catfish

Care Level : Moderate, needs a huge tank

Size : 47 inches (120 cm) - almost 4 feet in total length!

pH : 6.5 - 7.5

Temperature : 72F - 79F (22C - 26C)

Water Hardness : 2 to 20 dH,

Life span : 10 years, maybe much longer

Origin / Habitat : Asia, Thailand

Temperament / Behavior : Can be quite skittish, nervous and may not bother tank mates as juveniles. May eat smaller fish as it starts to reach adult size.

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : Not common in the home aquairum. Breeding has taken place at aquaculture farms and ponds.

Tank Size : 300 gallon, preferrably much larger

Compatible Tank Mates : Not many, similar sized species perhaps.

Fish Disease : Freshwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment

Diet / Fish Food : Omnivorous, meaning that they should go after whatever you place in the tank. Give them a well balanced healthy diet consisting of both meaty and green foods. When they are smaller you should give them flakes and occasionally Algae Wafers that sink to the bottom of the tank. Catfish pellets can be used as they start to grow into adults.

Tank Region : All over, mostly middle of the tank though.

Gender : Females are larger or more full bodied than males.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3587307200.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	42362  
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
What size tank do you have? Just out of curiosity do you know how big that iridescent shark gets?! Here's a little info:

Scientific Name : Pangasius hypophthalmus
Common Names : Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish, Sutchi Catfish, Striped Catfish, Thailand Catfish

Care Level : Moderate, needs a huge tank

Size : 47 inches (120 cm) - almost 4 feet in total length!

pH : 6.5 - 7.5

Temperature : 72F - 79F (22C - 26C)

Water Hardness : 2 to 20 dH,

Life span : 10 years, maybe much longer

Origin / Habitat : Asia, Thailand

Temperament / Behavior : Can be quite skittish, nervous and may not bother tank mates as juveniles. May eat smaller fish as it starts to reach adult size.

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : Not common in the home aquairum. Breeding has taken place at aquaculture farms and ponds.

Tank Size : 300 gallon, preferrably much larger

Compatible Tank Mates : Not many, similar sized species perhaps.

Fish Disease : Freshwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment

Diet / Fish Food : Omnivorous, meaning that they should go after whatever you place in the tank. Give them a well balanced healthy diet consisting of both meaty and green foods. When they are smaller you should give them flakes and occasionally Algae Wafers that sink to the bottom of the tank. Catfish pellets can be used as they start to grow into adults.

Tank Region : All over, mostly middle of the tank though.

Gender : Females are larger or more full bodied than males.
you need a lot more than a 300 gallon tank to keep one of these guys. try 1000 gallon minimum.
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako
Tank Size : 300 gallon, preferrably much larger .
Says right there PREFERABLY more. I was just providing the OP some information to to help him/her understand how big these fish actually get not providing a detailed care guide so don't go and nitpick the small details. They will be fine in a 300 gallon for quite some time but will need a bigger pond like tank at adult size.
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
Says right there PREFERABLY more. I was just providing the OP some information to to help him/her understand how big these fish actually get not providing a detailed care guide so don't go and nitpick the small details. They will be fine in a 300 gallon for quite some time but will need a bigger pond like tank at adult size.
yes,but just because it can live in a 300 gallon tank when it is young,doesnt mean its the minimum tank size. just trying to help.
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Ok well it is defenatly not that kind of shark. This is a pic of him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-156687029.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	42363  
__________________
Jarrod4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by alLexX
yes,but just because it can live in a 300 gallon tank when it is young,doesnt mean its the minimum tank size. just trying to help.
Chances are the OP isn't going to buy a 300 gallon tank or build a large pond so I guess both of our points are mute.
__________________

__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
Looking for a good skimmer for 55g scottayy General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 56 09-21-2011 10:49 PM
Good background plant for low light 6 gallon tank? Shadey Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 5 06-30-2011 12:36 PM
Uv sterilizer good or waste of $ DOMINATOR General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 06-29-2011 08:22 PM
Is this a good t5ho lighting system? slitherbomb General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 16 06-25-2011 12:37 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.