Good deed for the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So... We get a call for smoke in 2 classrooms at one of the middle schools in our response area. Units arrive and were checking the school out. Light smoke condition present upon arrival with a slight odor of electrical burning.

Units proceed to check it out and after about 40 minutes find it to be a overheated air handler pumping smoke through the vents for those rooms.

Happens to be the science labs. Well... This is what I see.

img_2431054_0_8e50cad3f92f85e9846eaf6aa610e80d.jpg

img_2431054_1_ddcd0f2bddfbb0a7691bd1d69e64076a.jpg

img_2431054_2_457795158f4f44de0ea4d0c1495a27be.jpg

img_2431054_3_f3e6c74c121df37805322dc8d5f85d04.jpg

Horrible and the water is disgusting and smells really bad. After we were packed up ready to leave I spoke to the teacher and got the guys together since we have a few tanks at the fire house. We're getting the school two 75 gallon tanks and two filters.

Unfortunately we have to leave the rest up to the class and the teacher as I didn't want to offend anyone. But I did mention of help was needed a few of us would help of needed. She was very pleased and I think it's a good job by all!!

Just a little story and another random act of kindness... Pay it forward :)

A lot of dog shelters do inspections and background checks to make sure the animal is going to be properly taken care of. Something similar should be done at fish stores. Stores could at least have people fill out a simple questionnaire to catch any red flags before selling the fish. Instead, the fish are often just sold for profit with no questions asked and no advice given - no interest in the well being of the fish. I've even heard that at walmart the employees aren't allowed to tell you not to buy certain fish even if they know you shouldn't for whatever reason. It's sad. Kudos to you guys for getting them better tanks though!

Hey dino, good job! I'll be waiting on my 40 gallons you'll be sending next week ;)

Haha ok it's way!!

A lot of dog shelters do inspections and background checks to make sure the animal is going to be properly taken care of. Something similar should be done at fish stores. Stores could at least have people fill out a simple questionnaire to catch any red flags before selling the fish. Instead, the fish are often just sold for profit with no questions asked and no advice given - no interest in the well being of the fish. I've even heard that at walmart the employees aren't allowed to tell you not to buy certain fish even if they know you shouldn't for whatever reason. It's sad. Kudos to you guys for getting them better tanks though!

Thanks! We did what we could. The rest is up to them.

Ha..ha! Convict you could take comfort in knowing that as an Earth Science Teacher ... you'd never see anything like than in my science lab!! Though before I came to my school, there was a 20gal long that had fish in it. I do vaguely remember that tank (before I got into this hobby) and it was GREENER than a Saint Patricks day Parade ... and not from plants.

I've been asked if I'd set up a new tank for the lab once ... I've declined more than once ... proper care / maintenance just wouldn't happen during the summer months.

Great Job!! Thanks one Albino Oscar that'll thank you down the road!

Ha..ha! Convict you could take comfort in knowing that as an Earth Science Teacher ... you'd never see anything like than in my science lab!! Though before I came to my school, there was a 20gal long that had fish in it. I do vaguely remember that tank (before I got into this hobby) and it was GREENER than a Saint Patricks day Parade ... and not from plants.

I've been asked if I'd set up a new tank for the lab once ... I've declined more than once ... proper care / maintenance just wouldn't happen during the summer months.

Great Job!! Thanks one Albino Oscar that'll thank you down the road!

Good to know lol. I just couldn't let that stay like that! I felt bad for them and kids. They should be able to enjoy nice looking tanks. Now... If they ask me to set them up would be cool lol!!

Back
Top Bottom