Good for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The algae may be because you are feeding them to much?

In a 4g, you will be limited on fish. Some might say an otocinclus would work, but I would strongly disagree. That's just too small a tank for an algae eating fish IMO. With that said, snails and shrimp do wonders on algae with very little bio load, so they are perfect for your tank. If you have a lot of algae, go with a Nerite snail, maybe 2. They don't eat anything but algae, though, so they starve if there isn't enough. I prefer mystery snails. Much more fun to watch, and great for cleanup of algae and other detritus (like leftover food). I would also consider some algae eating shrimp. Red cherries are pretty, but Japanese algae eaters would do better. Either or both would be awesome In your 4 gallon. As for the cause of algae, too much light and too much food are likely responsible. Good luck!

In a 4g, you will be limited on fish. Some might say an otocinclus would work, but I would strongly disagree. That's just too small a tank for an algae eating fish IMO. With that said, snails and shrimp do wonders on algae with very little bio load, so they are perfect for your tank. If you have a lot of algae, go with a Nerite snail, maybe 2. They don't eat anything but algae, though, so they starve if there isn't enough. I prefer mystery snails. Much more fun to watch, and great for cleanup of algae and other detritus (like leftover food). I would also consider some algae eating shrimp. Red cherries are pretty, but Japanese algae eaters would do better. Either or both would be awesome In your 4 gallon. As for the cause of algae, too much light and too much food are likely responsible. Good luck!

I think i will settle with mystery snails! I can give them algae tabs, correct? The tank is LED lit and very bright so that may be the problem. Well, thanks!

Edit: if shrimp are more diet tolerant, that may be better. I could get a cherry shrimp, always wanted one. We will see!

I supplement my mystery snails with algae tabs from time to time. I find that breaking them up and scattering them makes sure the snails find them. Realistically, though, since mysteries will eat nearly anything, a little extra food in the tank (flakes, pellets, whatever) keeps them happy and algae is unnecessary. The Nerites are picky; the mysteries are not. Shrimp are fun anyway and get delicate leaves clean. I would add both. 1 Mystery and maybe 4 cherry, crystal, or Japanese algae eaters. I would avoid ghost shrimp; they can get aggressive.

My snails love veggies and mulberry leaves. The mulberry leaves are great because they stay green and don't foul the water. The veggies get devoured before they can spoil:

Baby Mystery and trumpet snails sharing broccoli with a bristlenose:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388647186.776881.jpg

I supplement my mystery snails with algae tabs from time to time. I find that breaking them up and scattering them makes sure the snails find them. Realistically, though, since mysteries will eat nearly anything, a little extra food in the tank (flakes, pellets, whatever) keeps them happy and algae is unnecessary. The Nerites are picky; the mysteries are not. Shrimp are fun anyway and get delicate leaves clean. I would add both. 1 Mystery and maybe 4 cherry, crystal, or Japanese algae eaters. I would avoid ghost shrimp; they can get aggressive.

Will shrimp clean my baby java fern carefully?

I would suggest first finding the underlying reason for the algae. What type of algae is it? How long are your lights on? As stated, the tank is too small for algae eating fish. Mystery snails may work, but they bring a decent bioload with them. I'd probably suggest a single amano shrimp, depending on the actual type(s) of algae.

Amanos are great, or so I've heard... can't find them around here. But yes, the shrimp will be plant friendly and do fine with java. I just like the snails because they seem to do a better job on glass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would suggest first finding the underlying reason for the algae. What type of algae is it? How long are your lights on? As stated, the tank is too small for algae eating fish. Mystery snails may work, but they bring a decent bioload with them. I'd probably suggest a single amano shrimp, depending on the actual type(s) of algae.

I'm with this guy.

My brother and a mate have been having algae issues, simply caused by running lights too long. I only use mine for 6 hours or so and have never had a single issue with algae.

I'm with this guy. My brother and a mate have been having algae issues, simply caused by running lights too long. I only use mine for 6 hours or so and have never had a single issue with algae.

Definitely agree with both. I have no algae either, which I chalk up to a COMBINATION of factors, including limiting lights (plants root in the dark, so they actually get much healthier looking if not over-lit anyway), keeping lots of plants to compete with the algae for nutrients in the water column, and having a small cleanup crew of shrimp and snails. But both posters here are totally accurate in saying that lighting (either artificial or natural) is likely at least partially at fault for your algae. Still, I find the algae and algae-eaters to be a fun part of the whole ecosystem.

Definitely agree with both. I have no algae either, which I chalk up to a COMBINATION of factors, including limiting lights (plants root in the dark, so they actually get much healthier looking if not over-lit anyway), keeping lots of plants to compete with the algae for nutrients in the water column, and having a small cleanup crew of shrimp and snails. But both posters here are totally accurate in saying that lighting (either artificial or natural) is likely at least partially at fault for your algae. Still, I find the algae and algae-eaters to be a fun part of the whole ecosystem.

Which is mostly my point. I run lights about 8 hours a day. But i would like to know what snail. I think mystery.

If you are set on adding a snail, I'd go with a nerite rather than mystery.

I agree. No need to unnecessarily increase bioload on a small tank. Nerite is a good way to go, but may need to be rehomed once you get the algae under control holistically.

I agree. No need to unnecessarily increase bioload on a small tank. Nerite is a good way to go, but may need to be rehomed once you get the algae under control holistically.

Youre right! I can put him in my 10g afterwards, and if ever needed, my 1.3g if a snail is necessary, nerite it is.

Back
Top Bottom