Originally Posted by The Trooper
I'm with this guy. My brother and a mate have been having algae issues, simply caused by running lights too long. I only use mine for 6 hours or so and have never had a single issue with algae.
Definitely agree with both. I have no algae either, which I chalk up to a COMBINATION of factors, including limiting lights (plants root in the dark, so they actually get much healthier looking if not over-lit anyway), keeping lots of plants to compete with the algae for nutrients in the water column, and having a small cleanup crew of shrimp and snails. But both posters here are totally accurate in saying that lighting (either artificial or natural) is likely at least partially at fault for your algae. Still, I find the algae and algae-eaters to be a fun part of the whole ecosystem.