Good ole' family values...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that they are appointed and I am so glad that Michael Powell isn't there anymore. Still, I never know if the next person will be as bad or if they will be better.

Also, if you don't like what the FCC is doing, TELL THEM!!! People don't seem to realize that the FCC is in place to serve the people in making sure the airways remain public domain as well as serve the public what they want. We can't blame everything on the FCC when hardly any American even cares to express themself to the FCC. The reason why the FCC isn't responsible is because the public doesn't make them responsible.

Clown Monarch, you are sorta right, but I can't remember the name of the philosopher. He was around during the French Revolutions and was explaining the uprising and how even though the poor may receive thei freedom, eventually they'd become just as corrupt as the rich and society would move in stages. *edit* man, it is hard when everyone is posting at the same time... on where to draw the line, of course that is a gray area, but you know freedom of speech is not limitless.

Clamknuckle, I'll try and find the "pending" article again, but I have to go write a paper that is due in a few hours.... dang you all for my procrastination!!! :roll:

yeah i have written the FCC but the problem is the normal people that are offend by censorship arent up in arms because as of yet they dont see it as a big thing and americans are way to passive lately it seems like

I wish people would be activists like in the 60's

also the masses arent orginized and i doubt ever will be until its too late

I agree 100% and it is very unfortunate... still, it is up to people like you and me to motivate the masses :wink:

must write paper!!! I should unplug myself from the internet....

On the other hand why should I have to put a lock on my tv because people want to show trash. Is it fair to censor programming? Is it fair that i have to police the tv so much? TV didnt start out this way, it has evolved........I could turn my tv off, but then what about my rights to watch tv? This could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on,....................

I'm done.... :wink:

good point, revhtree. Still, even though TV has evolved, the reason is evolved the way it did is because of ratings/what the general public wants to watch. Yes, it is a bit of a landslide. Shouldn't parenting techniques evolve as well?

I'm not trying to defend anything, just giving the other perspective. I don't like the fines, but until stations decide they should self regulate again, it is a necessary evil. The reason the fines are so big is because it is mainly the larger corperations that air the shows with indecency. They could afford all the fines and barely blinked at them. Unfortunatly it is smaller stations that will be hurt more.

QTOFFER said:
The FCC fines came out of the pockets of his employers, not his own.....Stern's recent agreement with Sirius has more to do with money than avoiding FCC persecution.
With the new bill passing it allows them to fine BOTH the broadcaster AND the "violater". I think his move to unregulated is more than just $$$ (although it is a good motivator).

revhtree said:
I could turn my tv off, but then what about my rights to watch tv?
Funny thing, watching tv isn't in the Bill of Rights. Everybody complains about their freedom is being restricted by someone else's freedom. Is their no room for compromise or are all of us stuck in second grade?

If you don't want your kids watching the Sopranos, then don't get HBO. If you just have to have HBO, then yes, you need to police your TV. Or better yet, have your kids do something else than watch TV. I don't encourage the boobtube at my house. I let my 5 year old watch tv as a reward for good behavior. I will never let it be a babysitter.

Great post deli_conker
I'm just tired of people expecting somebody else to hold their hand and protect them from everything. My job as a parent is to guide my kids in their actions and hope they understand my guidance. One day I'll have to trust that my 5 year old will always look both ways before she crosses the street.

I dont have HBO, and it's whats on regular TV that can become offensive.

I agree with you about the TV not being a baby sitter.

Even though my child knows to look both ways before crossing the street, she can cross it by herself when she is old enough in my opinion, and 5yrs is about 4 to 5 years to young for that.

I'm done with this thread...Goodbye. :wink:

As a parent, I filter everything....
what they eat, drink, smell, watch...
In the grocery store, I filter out the bruised or rotten apples...why? They are bad. I do not complain, I look at them, and choose the ones I want. It takes time.
If my daughter brings home a friend that I do not like. She cant play with them anymore, I take my time before I do something that drastic, but if they are bad kids... I do not want my children playing with them.
Are we going to ban the "bad kids" from school because they may be a bad influence for the "good kids" ? no... We do our best to teach our children right from wrong. In hopes that one day they will be able to make sound decisions.
We teach our children at a very early age that there bad people out there, the solution is to run away from them. I think that along with that we can teach them that there are bad things on the TV, or Radio. The solution to that is turning the station. My children do not have to ask to watch Nick, or Disney. they know how a TV guide works and they use it. If they see something they want to see, they ask. If I have never seen it before the answer is no. but I will sit down and watch it later. :fadein:
These posts are not intended towards anyone... more a combination of a lot of feelings about the censoring issue.

Fishyfanatic said:
In my opinion, the American public gets "offended" by WAY to much stuff.

Got that right. To this day I remember the story a couple of years back of the teacher that near lost their license after properly using the word "niggardly" in a sentence, and all because someone who had a limited vocabulary was offended by how the word sounded to them. Oddly enough, even cartoons can have their characters 'curse' using a number of 'clean' phrases that often include "cotton-picking", which is a racial slur that is, in my opinion, probably worse than the dreaded 'n-word'.

Here in Canada, we have science shows on sexuality that show full nudity anytime of day, most radio stations are allowed to have 'naughty' words, so long as they have decent context, and the only thing that really offends us is gratuitous violence. We are really pretty Zen about such things.

Melody said:
I filter out the bruised or rotten apples...why? They are bad.

Bruised apples are not bad...they are simply bruised.

Are we going to ban the "bad kids" from school because they may be a bad influence for the "good kids" ? no...

Actually, we do...more and more...even if only by removing our children to private schools. Every city has schools where 'bad kids' get dumped

revhtree said:
Even though my child knows to look both ways before crossing the street, she can cross it by herself when she is old enough in my opinion, and 5yrs is about 4 to 5 years to young for that.
I meant when she's older. She holds my hand or shirt tail when we're in the parking lot, crossing a street or what not. But every time we cross a traffic area, I stop and ask her "What do we do?" Followed by "Why do we do that?"

BACK ON TOPIC...

Here is a news story about the original post and the new "suggestion". It's almost as if the government is going to end up being a parent who is tired of hearing it's children arguing back and forth and will end up punishing all of them in order to restore peace. Eventually the internet will be "regulated" and it won't just be the moderators of a site locking threads or deleting posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom