Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
got the fright of my life today

I was driving home from swapping over my co2 cylinder for a new full one. I stopped at a roundabout, waiting for the traffic to clear so I could go.

.......and as I'm waiting *BANG*. It was the loudest sound I have ever heard... The cylinder popped and depressurised gas sprewed into the car's cabin. I could feel the change in the air immediately.

Got myself and the cylinder out of the car and put it on the footpath. By now a queue of cars were behind me so I got the car out of the way. Cylinder stops expelling gas.

I drove home and (slightly embarrased to admit it now) burst into tears. I was so shaken up that Hubby had to drive us both back to the shop to show them the cylinder and tell them what had happened.

He said he'd never heard of that hapeening. He guessed the valve must have been faulty. the guy gave me a new cylinder and a credit for the next one.

Got home and poured myself a whiskey.

Seriously, the things I go through for this hobby.

Sharon : Melbourne, Australia
Me on Twitter
4x4x2 FW planted | 15g FW planted | 3.5g FW planted pico
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Originally Posted by marchmaxima View Post

Got home and poured myself a whiskey.

Now THAT's my kinda girl !

Glad no one was hurt... and welcome back, not sure I've noticed you online since your trip to the states (or the post after you got back)

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
yikes. lucky you werent killed and i hope nothing was damaged.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. you had it together long enough to be safe and get home. a lot of ppl would have just broke down on the side of the road. dont they go through testing to make sure the valves arent faulty?
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
is this the same cylinder you have had hooked up and having problems with? wonder if that explains the issue with your co2 emptying too fast? glad you werent hurt or actually driving when that happend

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Really glad you werent hurt. Nothing at all to be embarassed about.

A note on Co2 saftey, I use to work where we euthanized animals wth this gas. It would take upwards of 30 minutes for the gas to fill your car and the cylinder that your have (you didn't mention the size) probably is enough to just make you dizzy and nauseous. The gas is usuallly very cold when it comes out at high speeds and is heavier than o2. You are very lucky that the cylinder didn't project itself through your car and injur you or break a window. If the shop didn't do it already, have your cylinder pressure tested and certified, and after they refill the cylinder for you, ask them if they checked everything. If it was only the valve, the shop is liable for faulty service, they are supposed to check these things when they fill them.

Congrats on getting a new cylinder and free refill on it
Blueiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow, I would have been just as shaken up....glad everything worked out ok...maybe make hubby go get the next one??
newfound77951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Man....I would have been scared too! The place I exchange my co2 cylinders at has signs up saying they won't load full tanks in an enclosed car. I drive a car and while my dad has a truck, he isn't home when I need my cylinder refilled. So usually, they do load it into my trunk after I sign my life away in a waiver. They give me a speech every time I go about it being dangerous...and while I know they have to and that it is dangerous, I hate hearing the same speech every time!

Glad you are ok!
2 planted tanks: 40g, 20g ; 38g Reef tank
My links to pics: 40g breeder planted build, 40g breeder planted update, My 38g Reef Build

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Glad your ok.
jim692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow, glad to hear no one was hurt. I'm sure you will be a little timid towards any tank from now on. I guess you can look at it like what are the odds of that happening twice to the same person.
Colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Maybe this explains the co2 problems! Glad u are ok. You have really been thru the ringer on what should be an easy addition to your planted tank!

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com