Grape wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldmoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. A couple months back I got a nice piece of grape wood from the reptile section at my local petco for only $3. I really wanted to put it in my tank but there were a few problems I came across.
1) I heard grape wood rots quickly
2) I read that reptile wood sometimes has chemicals poisonous to fish on it.
I don’t know if I should include it in my tank and I won’t if it will cause issues. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Hello, I've never used grapewood but I've read that it takes a few yrs for it to rot. People on other sites say that it develops a nasty slime & gives off lots of tannins after being submerged for a while. It may also contain pesticides to kill termites while in storage. Hope this helps!

Hello, I've never used grapewood but I've read that it takes a few yrs for it to rot. People on other sites say that it develops a nasty slime & gives off lots of tannins after being submerged for a while. It may also contain pesticides to kill termites while in storage. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response! I probably won’t end up using it because I don’t want to risk anything

Back
Top Bottom