Guess That Species!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weird, ive looked at those before, but never saw a picture with them flaring line that, although I'd assume it's not all that uncommon

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Poecilocharax weitzmani - named after Smithsonian characid expert Stan Weitzman. I used to really enjoy talking about aquarium fish with Stan was I was postdoc at the Smithsonian. He had a bunch of tanks set up in his lab, in which he was breeding a range of small, rare tetras.

Weird, ive looked at those before, but never saw a picture with them flaring line that, although I'd assume it's not all that uncommon

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got a nice group a couple weeks ago, they never stop flaring, but also never really stop moving. I would love to get pics of my own but I refuse to sit still for hours snapping pics for 1 or 2 decent shots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feel ya. Tried it with my thread fins (getting the shot) an after and hour and a half without success, malt dad made me stop sitting there and doing about nothing

Here's a new one. It's native to hawaii and a few locals keep them. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403760428.130255.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Correct. They are really cool. My cousin got one once.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Another climber! Kind of funny, as I'm currently reviewing a manuscript on a complex of species in the same genus (with a dozen new species). I've kept a few different species from this genus through the years, but not the one in the photo ... though it occurs locally.

Another climber! Kind of funny, as I'm currently reviewing a manuscript on a complex of species in the same genus (with a dozen new species). I've kept a few different species from this genus through the years, but not the one in the photo ... though it occurs locally.

I've always liked this fish, too bad I've never been able to obtain any.

If you like this species Gillie, you would really like another species in the same genus (specific name fuscus). There's a nice video of that species in the wild posted this week on ANGFA-NSW's Facebook page. I'll see if I can post a link to it once the guessing is over.

If you like this species Gillie, you would really like another species in the same genus (specific name fuscus). There's a nice video of that species in the wild posted this week on ANGFA-NSW's Facebook page. I'll see if I can post a link to it once the guessing is over.

That would be great

And not a killifish Bettaowner. Like I said, it lives locally and we don't have killifish here. Not that I live in a different galaxy, but that would seem appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom