Guorami has large black spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sbruskiewicz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I need some advice about my guorami. I fed my fish tonight and I noticed a large (pea sized) black spot on the side of him. He seems fine, swimming and eating normally. The spot is quite large and seems to stick out. I have two guorami fish, two angelfish and one plecothamus in a 20 gallon tank. I have not added any fish in over 9 months. If anyone has advice, I would appreciate it!

I have attached a photo

Attachments

• IMG_6246.jpg
    IMG_6246.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 60
First why do you have angels in a 20 Gallon? That is to small I do not want to be mean but that is to small. I really don't know all that much about gourami but maybe it is natural it shows no sign of sickness but I would do lots of research on it.

I can't see it very well because it's in a shadow, but what does the texture look like? Is it like a black bubble? Possibly a burn? It's just odd that the scales directly around it look so normal.

And I agree that a 20g is a pretty small tank for angels. They'll be very cramped. I'm actually surprised that after 9 months one of them hasn't killed or outcompeted the other.

If you mean plecostomus, and it's a common pleco, you also have a tank monster on your hands. They can get 24"+

So pretty black?
Got two choices and both are bleak.
A possible treatment of this issue can be done with iodine over a 4 week period,which I will guess fish may not last that long?
First choice is Thyroid tumor, which is what the treatment MAY work on.
second choice is a malignant tumor ' It is most likely that no treatment is possible.'
This from the best disease book going
https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Fish-Diseases-G-Untergasser/dp/0866227032

Sorry about your Paradise fish...

Thank you for your help. It is a very black spot. I had a feeling it wasn't good, but hoped it was treatable.

Hi, I also was thinking a tumour as had seen ones in that book where the tumour causes a localised colour change. I would also agree with above that tank conditions are not ideal and would be worth testing water as eg high nitrates may have triggered something. Something to check just in case.

Back
Top Bottom