Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Regular

For me its been guppies. Never lasted more than a couple if months. I have four fry, hoping they are the strongest for growing up in my little ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

HausMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek View Post
How much larger are the gold fish in compairson to the other fish? Lots of fish will canablize on smaller fish if the size differental is great.
I'd like to hear more about the dificulties of hillstreams they require a lot of water movement? Would they eat for you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by big b View Post
Any fish from petco. They all die in qt. Not sure if this counts

Some Petco stores are crap to their animals (putting that very nicely) and dont know anything.

However, my local Petco actually has decent stock. They quarantine fish sometimes, and take out dead ones right away... They give decent advice as well, although it usually is stuff i already know.

But yeah, apparently you got unlucky with your major chain stores.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
Old 09-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I meant any fish from MY petco. Some petcos are VERY good, but I unfortunately got a bad one :/.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Activist

I saw something on youtube a while back about German Blue Rams. The guy said that the problem is the breeding farms they come from (it's all about bad breeding?). Anyone know about this?
Old 09-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpanky View Post
I saw something on youtube a while back about German Blue Rams. The guy said that the problem is the breeding farms they come from (it's all about bad breeding?). Anyone know about this?

Most of the GBR's in the trade are from breeding lines started in Thailand or shipped from there. These have very little genetic diversity and conditions they are bred in lead to high mortality rates. Also not unheard of for them to dye them as well leading to further health issues. Definitely a fish I would only get from a well reviewed breeder.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Hardest fish you've kept

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
I'd like to hear more about the dificulties of hillstreams they require a lot of water movement? Would they eat for you?

Are for the first few weeks but after that stopped. Was a cycled tank with power heads for added current. I did not have a TDS meter at the time, so this could have been my downfall here in trying to replicate their environment.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemach7 View Post
Are for the first few weeks but after that stopped. Was a cycled tank with power heads for added current. I did not have a TDS meter at the time, so this could have been my downfall here in trying to replicate their environment.

I'm glad I read this before I bothered to research them myself. I thought of setting up a tank for them at one time but it sounds like they would not be the right fish for me at all. Thanks for sharing

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpanky View Post
I know a little?
At this point in time many are holding to bad breeding and and poor lines being the culprit?
I tend to really believe GBR do BEST in a species only tank or one where they are dominant.
My first rams came from the Netherlands,
I mixed into them fish from Yunite(very respected breeder on west coast) after my first year breeding.
I am now on year 2+ of breeding GBR and YESTERDAY received new stock from an excellent source in Kansas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemach7 View Post
Most of the GBR's in the trade are from breeding lines started in Thailand or shipped from there. These have very little genetic diversity and conditions they are bred in lead to high mortality rates. Also not unheard of for them to dye them as well leading to further health issues. Definitely a fish I would only get from a well reviewed breeder.

Only time will tell if a well reviewed breeder really has the stuff!
I have no complaints on my 10 I got from yunite last year,but also can't say they are still with me as I keep several pairs in dorms together and move pairs around a lot.
I hope all I have sold are fine and long before I offered one GBR on this site my LFS said that they received not one complaint from customers who purchased my fish.
Does that mean they lasted longer then others??
I know one member here who lost one pretty quickly for what ever reason IMO.
It is a very fragile fish fish IMO.
I know how to keep a tank and fish going on minimal effort and can't help but feel these guys would still be first to go with any issue?
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #70

POTM Champion

discus babies.... Definately the toughest thing ive encountered. Talk abt if ya look at it funny it starts to die. I swear.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com