Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
LayzorBeams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota,USA
Posts: 983
They are fragile fish but they aren't always...

Ive been very lucky, i had a male and female that i just... had, i guess, for awhile. There was an issue with the 75 in which the large Oscar had to go into the 29 where the Rams where. I moved them without acclimation to a 10 gallon that had a colder temp, by like 8 degrees. It wasn't optimal but i had to do it. Then they stayed a few nights in a 5 gallon bucket with nothing but a piece of pipe and an airstone. Then they were re-acclimated to the 29, and were fine. Then, when i brought them to the LfS, the guy just dropped them in the slightly warmer tank without acclimating, and i saw them there again a week later.

So yeah, i believe it is that mist of them don't come from solid genetics. I think i got lucky and had two that were tough. But i know that its not a normal trait for them...

Same with Discus though, lots of people say that a few decades ago they were tough as nails and now they are fragile... Thats what happens when a few companies but money over quality i guess...


If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
__________________

__________________
LayzorBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #72
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
I know how to keep a tank and fish going on minimal effort and can't help but feel these guys would still be first to go with any issue?
And therein lies the secret. I noticed a whole lot of people worry way too much about their parameters that they actually do more harm than good trying to correct half a ppm here and there. It was pounded into my head at an early age that consistency is key, and if I start doing this or that when it is unnecessary, then I'm causing undue stress which opens the door for illness and possible fish loss. My routine is pretty much just feed and water change(weekly), which is less stress all around and I have more time to enjoy the hobby instead of fretting over some unknown factor that may not even be there. Heck my test kit(used once) expired and I don't plan on buying another.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
LayzorBeams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota,USA
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
And therein lies the secret. I noticed a whole lot of people worry way too much about their parameters that they actually do more harm than good trying to correct half a ppm here and there. It was pounded into my head at an early age that consistency is key, and if I start doing this or that when it is unnecessary, then I'm causing undue stress which opens the door for illness and possible fish loss. My routine is pretty much just feed and water change(weekly), which is less stress all around and I have more time to enjoy the hobby instead of fretting over some unknown factor that may not even be there. Heck my test kit(used once) expired and I don't plan on buying another.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Huh. I like your approach better... I worry a bit more than i would like but less than others...

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't use a test-lit too often. I do occasionally but only for Nitrates and PH when I'm adding expensive fish.




If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
__________________
LayzorBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #74
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post
Huh. I like your approach better... I worry a bit more than i would like but less than others...

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't use a test-lit too often. I do occasionally but only for Nitrates and PH when I'm adding expensive fish.




If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
If your acclimation game is on point, there's no need to worry about ph, which is moot anyway tds is where it's at and as far as nitrates go, when in doubt change it out.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
LayzorBeams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota,USA
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
If your acclimation game is on point, there's no need to worry about ph, which is moot anyway tds is where it's at and as far as nitrates go, when in doubt change it out.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep. Thats my usual process... But if im dropping half of a tenth of a grand on a fish, which is basically the mist i will be spending for awhile, i try to make sure i get it spot on... My LFS have garbage return policies!


If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
__________________
LayzorBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #76
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post
Yep. Thats my usual process... But if im dropping half of a tenth of a grand on a fish, which is basically the mist i will be spending for awhile, i try to make sure i get it spot on... My LFS have garbage return policies!


If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
I can see the point in that case then, I have a couple stores here that are way too confident in their stock and offer minimum guarantee.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
LayzorBeams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota,USA
Posts: 983
Mine offer 2 days. And i cant have any other dish in the tank capable of killing them.

So anything in the 75 is not able to be returned if it died. And same with my Endlers


If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
__________________
LayzorBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:03 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,773
I rarely test as well. Actually almost never. I check nitrates every now and then to make sure my sensitive fish will be ok and that their are in the target range for my plants but other than that I don't test. Its over rated and a 10 gallon water change every week does the job for me.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:19 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
LayzorBeams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minnesota,USA
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
I rarely test as well. Actually almost never. I check nitrates every now and then to make sure my sensitive fish will be ok and that their are in the target range for my plants but other than that I don't test. Its over rated and a 10 gallon water change every week does the job for me.

Most of my fish are pretty solid, Texas can live in temps of 62-82 and pretty much any PH that isn't extreme, and they aren't super prone to diseases based off of non-high-quality water either.

And yeah, WC are enough.


If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
__________________
LayzorBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #80
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: california
Posts: 900
Texas are pretty tough

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
RedDevil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardest feshwater fish to keep. Mattefect Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 53 11-22-2011 01:21 AM
Hardest working freshwater fish? HAVAMAL Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 07-31-2011 08:32 PM
What's the hardest fish you've tried to photograph? redfisher1139 Show Off/Photography 29 04-29-2011 06:16 PM
Whats the hardest fish to keep? aquabeast Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 24 03-19-2011 12:37 PM
Hardest Freshwater Fish To Breed ? Steven A Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 20 09-27-2005 01:02 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.