Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are fragile fish but they aren't always...

Ive been very lucky, i had a male and female that i just... had, i guess, for awhile. There was an issue with the 75 in which the large Oscar had to go into the 29 where the Rams where. I moved them without acclimation to a 10 gallon that had a colder temp, by like 8 degrees. It wasn't optimal but i had to do it. Then they stayed a few nights in a 5 gallon bucket with nothing but a piece of pipe and an airstone. Then they were re-acclimated to the 29, and were fine. Then, when i brought them to the LfS, the guy just dropped them in the slightly warmer tank without acclimating, and i saw them there again a week later.

So yeah, i believe it is that mist of them don't come from solid genetics. I think i got lucky and had two that were tough. But i know that its not a normal trait for them...

Same with Discus though, lots of people say that a few decades ago they were tough as nails and now they are fragile... Thats what happens when a few companies but money over quality i guess...

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
I know how to keep a tank and fish going on minimal effort and can't help but feel these guys would still be first to go with any issue?
And therein lies the secret. I noticed a whole lot of people worry way too much about their parameters that they actually do more harm than good trying to correct half a ppm here and there. It was pounded into my head at an early age that consistency is key, and if I start doing this or that when it is unnecessary, then I'm causing undue stress which opens the door for illness and possible fish loss. My routine is pretty much just feed and water change(weekly), which is less stress all around and I have more time to enjoy the hobby instead of fretting over some unknown factor that may not even be there. Heck my test kit(used once) expired and I don't plan on buying another.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
And therein lies the secret. I noticed a whole lot of people worry way too much about their parameters that they actually do more harm than good trying to correct half a ppm here and there. It was pounded into my head at an early age that consistency is key, and if I start doing this or that when it is unnecessary, then I'm causing undue stress which opens the door for illness and possible fish loss. My routine is pretty much just feed and water change(weekly), which is less stress all around and I have more time to enjoy the hobby instead of fretting over some unknown factor that may not even be there. Heck my test kit(used once) expired and I don't plan on buying another.

Huh. I like your approach better... I worry a bit more than i would like but less than others...

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't use a test-lit too often. I do occasionally but only for Nitrates and PH when I'm adding expensive fish.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...
Old 09-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post
Huh. I like your approach better... I worry a bit more than i would like but less than others...

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't use a test-lit too often. I do occasionally but only for Nitrates and PH when I'm adding expensive fish.

If your acclimation game is on point, there's no need to worry about ph, which is moot anyway tds is where it's at and as far as nitrates go, when in doubt change it out.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
If your acclimation game is on point, there's no need to worry about ph, which is moot anyway tds is where it's at and as far as nitrates go, when in doubt change it out.

Yep. Thats my usual process... But if im dropping half of a tenth of a grand on a fish, which is basically the mist i will be spending for awhile, i try to make sure i get it spot on... My LFS have garbage return policies!

Old 09-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post
Yep. Thats my usual process... But if im dropping half of a tenth of a grand on a fish, which is basically the mist i will be spending for awhile, i try to make sure i get it spot on... My LFS have garbage return policies!

I can see the point in that case then, I have a couple stores here that are way too confident in their stock and offer minimum guarantee.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine offer 2 days. And i cant have any other dish in the tank capable of killing them.

So anything in the 75 is not able to be returned if it died. And same with my Endlers

Old 09-26-2015, 01:03 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I rarely test as well. Actually almost never. I check nitrates every now and then to make sure my sensitive fish will be ok and that their are in the target range for my plants but other than that I don't test. Its over rated and a 10 gallon water change every week does the job for me.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:19 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
I rarely test as well. Actually almost never. I check nitrates every now and then to make sure my sensitive fish will be ok and that their are in the target range for my plants but other than that I don't test. Its over rated and a 10 gallon water change every week does the job for me.

Most of my fish are pretty solid, Texas can live in temps of 62-82 and pretty much any PH that isn't extreme, and they aren't super prone to diseases based off of non-high-quality water either.

And yeah, WC are enough.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #80

Texas are pretty tough

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com