Hardest fish you've kept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might be yo yo loaches since I've yet to give up on them. Apart from the 2 regulars in there, I reckon I've lost maybe 5 now from jumping out of gaps in the tank cover. Fine for months and then they go sight-seeing :( So annoying to have them lost like that!

Might be yo yo loaches since I've yet to give up on them. Apart from the 2 regulars in there, I reckon I've lost maybe 5 now from jumping out of gaps in the tank cover. Fine for months and then they go sight-seeing :( So annoying to have them lost like that!

Have you tried adding a powerhead? I had incidents with yoyo loaches jumping into filters way back. Adding a big powerhead literally stopped the problem instantly. In my 55 gallon recently as well, I just upped the number of filters/flow and they've entirely stopped trying to salmon-style up the HOB. Small sample size, but considering loaches' love of current I can see why it would work.

It has to be a little Colombian tetra I have named Survivor. I moved a plant out of one of my tanks that has Colombian red fins in it to a non heated goldfish tank.The tank was drained down to on an inch of water in order to move it. Then I filled it with tap water and moved the gold fish in. A few weeks later I see a little fish swimming around couldn't even tell what it was. 4 months later I have a good sized Colombian Redfin swimming with two fancy gold fish. It even survived a battle of ich I received complementary of one of the goldfish I bought.

This little guy is going against everything I new about fish.

I just reread the title. I originally read hardiest not hardest -quite the opposite oh well.

My hardest fish was Fugu puffer or saddleback puffer. Second would be South american puffer otherwise known as Bumble Bee puffer, brazilian puffer.

Gold fishes . ? they always used die in my tank within a few weeks by themselves or by biting each other.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Panda Cory's.
I have a really top notch planted community tank, shrimps are breeding like rabbits and the peppered Cory's have bred despite the best efforts of my BN to clean the eggs off the glass. But Pandas are proving to be be really difficult.
I have a new batch of 6 in my QT which are looking good and I will keep them in there for 3-4 months until grown a bit and fattened up. Maybe this time I will be lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I hate to repeat others but,GBR.
I know many of you are going to have NO sympathy for me,or take this seriously.
For me they live in the fishroom.
Not one in my DT and I have added a few!
I need to set 'some' aside and see how long they really last.
I have had WAY BETTER success keeping the 'forbidden Mandarin Goby' in every marine tank I have had since the 1980's!
With most of them(mandarins) lasting 4-6 years.
I still think 2 years for a GBR is a long life but such a short time in my tanks!:(
It is this disappointment and difficulty that drive me to keep trying.

Oh yah.. rcs.. can't keep em alive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have RCS that die, but then another red variety that breed like crazy now. Not sure exactly what kind they are though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hearing this about shrimp and kuhlis worries me a little, heh.

What kind of shrimp seem to be the most difficult to keep? I've heard Amanos are pretty hardy if you maintain your water parameters. They're also larger too, which is a plus when the most common thing I've heard about RCS is how quickly they're eaten by other fish! haha

Amanos are very hard, in my experience. RCS should be in a tank with smaller sized fish as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have had WAY BETTER success keeping the 'forbidden Mandarin Goby' in every marine tank I have had since the 1980's!
I still think 2 years for a GBR is a long life but such a short time in my tanks!:(

Wait wait wait.........Is this the Rambandit speaking or have you been hijacked?!?!?! Oh my goodness, mind blown!

I've had terrible luck with guppies and platy's.... The only ones I've had last more than 4 months was from the best fish store around which coincidentally is the farthest one away.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Red devil, oscar, and of course pleco, all hardy. Oops edit time thought hardy not hardest... probably for me was puffer fish.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

GBR
Never had any luck with 2 attempts, even with very clean water.
Same with dwarf gourami. They are alive for a month, and then randomly shrivel up on day and just DIE :(
Good alternatives for GBR are apistos and Bolivian Rams. DG alternatives are the honey gouramies (they come in a gold variety too! :D)

GBR
Never had any luck with 2 attempts, even with very clean water.
Same with dwarf gourami. They are alive for a month, and then randomly shrivel up on day and just DIE :(
Good alternatives for GBR are apistos and Bolivian Rams. DG alternatives are the honey gouramies (they come in a gold variety too! :D)

Sadly it's hard to find a lasting DG...

Most of them come down with DGIV and pass..

Caleb

Have you tried adding a powerhead? I had incidents with yoyo loaches jumping into filters way back. Adding a big powerhead literally stopped the problem instantly. In my 55 gallon recently as well, I just upped the number of filters/flow and they've entirely stopped trying to salmon-style up the HOB. Small sample size, but considering loaches' love of current I can see why it would work.

Sounds a good suggestion and worth a try as I want to get more. Thanks I'll look into this. There is not huge flow when canister filters are off on one side of tank. That has a UV filter which I'm thinking of just pulling out and would give me some room for a powerhead (which would also help push the CO2 around better).

I just euthanized a ram after 6 years

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just euthanized a ram after 6 years

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am very sorry to hear this and want to congratulate you on doing so much better then many of us!
You had the luckiest ram I have heard about lately.
Source?

Back
Top Bottom