Hardest fish you've kept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive had good luck with everything except Goldfish (lost to Ich) and Neons (apparently, I've had some very weak strains pass through my hands) and, a few years ago, Platies.

Ive had perfect luck with Ghost Shrimp, DG, and GBR. Guess i will count myself lucky on that front...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Mines actually freshwater shrimp. I've tried keeping shrimp at least 10 times and they all just die in a week or two... Yet here I am with healthy discus..

Caleb

Really? I kept them successfully in my first tank. I even got babies from them.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really? I kept them successfully in my first tank. I even got babies from them.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think KH is playing a factor but I need to test and be sure. I can't think of any other reason why

Caleb

Hastatus cories. Although I think it was just bad stock. All 7 gone within 48hrs... Yet the endlers are doing extremely well... I think it was just bad stock.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Hastatus cories. Although I think it was just bad stock. All 7 gone within 48hrs... Yet the endlers are doing extremely well... I think it was just bad stock.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Yeah hastatus are a little weird, it's like neons, sometimes they live and a lot of times they don't. Catfish usually come in with a few internals and if the store doesn't do a proper qt and you don't do a broad spectrum treatment in your qt, it's pretty much game over.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah hastatus are a little weird, it's like neons, sometimes they live and a lot of times they don't. Catfish usually come in with a few internals and if the store doesn't do a proper qt and you don't do a broad spectrum treatment in your qt, it's pretty much game over.

So I've read a few times now that when corys are stressed especially during bagging they give off toxins and those toxins end up poisoning everything in the bag including themselves and that's why many times they arrive DOA or die shortly after. Neither article could identify the toxin because not enough research has been done. Anyone else have thoughts on this? It may explain some things or it could be bonk, I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I've read a few times now that when corys are stressed especially during bagging they give off toxins and those toxins end up poisoning everything in the bag including themselves and that's why many times they arrive DOA or die shortly after. Neither article could identify the toxin because not enough research has been done. Anyone else have thoughts on this? It may explain some things or it could be bonk, I don't know.

This doesn't have a lot to do with it, but they also have very spiky fins that i believe carry the poison; I've been pricked and it hurts for days! Julii Cories seem especially painful... Maybe the spike each other?? They are also known to poo bags...

Again, sorry for being off of the topic :) just thought it was interesting!

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Hardest fish by far is....feeder fish lol

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah yes, the axillary gland secretion. They release a bacteriacidal chemical that is toxic to both conspecifics and other fish. I have a paper on this somewhere, you're my new forum best friend :D

Ah yes, the axillary gland secretion. They release a bacteriacidal chemical that is toxic to both conspecifics and other fish. I have a paper on this somewhere, you're my new forum best friend :D

Would you mind sending me a pm about the paper? I want to get some corys, but now this scares me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol. Yes I'd like to read the paper too. PM Me and I'll give you an email to send it to.

This doesn't have a lot to do with it, but they also have very spiky fins that i believe carry the poison; I've been pricked and it hurts for days! Julii Cories seem especially painful... Maybe the spike each other?? They are also known to poo bags...

Again, sorry for being off of the topic :) just thought it was interesting!

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

I appologize for getting off topic as well but if what I typed can clear up a bit of mystery about corys being hard to deal with then maybe it was somewhat relevant.

Google axillary gland secretion in corydoras, a few papers on researchgate pop up one being the same paper that I have on sterbai, but in PDF form. I believe the other is on aenus.

Dwarf corys have been hit or miss. Have a troop of 5 habrosus approaching 2 years old, had a batch of 5 all die within 2 days of.being in the tank. 4 out of 5 hastatus still going strong. I believe the toxin thing for sure.. heard many accounts of entire batches of corys dying one after the other.. does remind me of neons;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It may be that I just got a good batch, but the longest living hastatus I had were kept alone in a tank with their companion tetras, serrapinnis kriegi.

Google axillary gland secretion in corydoras, a few papers on researchgate pop up one being the same paper that I have on sterbai, but in PDF form. I believe the other is on aenus.

"Secretions discharged in the water during transport by some individuals of Corydoras Sterbai reduce light emissions of the bacterium Vibrio Fischeri. SDS-PAGE of these secretions and of the isolated auxiliary-gland shows three identical lanes with molecular masses of approx. 71 000, 26 000 and 21 700 D. This suggests that during stress also secretions of the auxiliary glands were exuded into the water. The contribution of auxiliary gland secretions to the bactericidal properties remains to be shown."

-Hartmut Graven

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...orydoras_sterbai_(Callichthyidae_Siluriformes)

Caleb

Thank you Caleb. Glad to see I was able to remember something semi useful about toxins and corys.

Toss up.

Hill stream loach tried once after reading and trying replicate as best as possible , was probably the last.

GBRs like said before, grown to love my very colourful Bolivian so probably won't try again any time soon.

And lastly the extreme measures I've had to take to keep herons away from my pond fish. If by total number of fish losses these win.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom