Hardest fish you've kept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's a fish that you've always had a hard time keeping healthy and happy? For me it has to be neon tetras

Keep calm and drum on

Mines actually freshwater shrimp. I've tried keeping shrimp at least 10 times and they all just die in a week or two... Yet here I am with healthy discus..

Caleb

Only one that other people consider "hard" but I personally have no problem with are dwarf puffers. My favorite fish. Believe it or not, cory's are pretty hard to keep for me because they always get sick and die from that disease. Same disease has killed over 10 cory's of mine in 2 separate tanks. I'm done with cory's for a while lol.

Mines actually freshwater shrimp. I've tried keeping shrimp at least 10 times and they all just die in a week or two... Yet here I am with healthy discus..

Caleb

Oh yah.. rcs.. can't keep em alive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really? Wow, I guess I'm lucky! I just do everything normal and they breed like crazy.

They die off in weeks in mine?? Water is soft, guess it's no Bueno por le skrimpies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Buy them local and acclimate slowly. Once they survive the 1 month mark they will explode in population.

I need to test my water hardness again...

I got some rcs from Poppa getting shipped tomorrow...

I've always acclimated inverts a good 2-4 hours. I think it's water related.

Caleb

Mine was shrimp. I tried them twice before and they didn't last long. So this time I tried again with shrimp from 2 different sources and they are doing great. I had bad luck with CPD'S but I tend to think that was the source too. Can't find them locally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kuhli loaches. Had the hardest time getting 100% to survive QT and make it to my DT. Even in there I don't know how many I have, its at least 4 with max 7

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

GBRs have given me some trouble in the past. I never could get them past 6 months. Decided Apistos were for me! :lol: They are the only fish that I can't keep alive but everything else is a go. My wild caught hatchets and my Farlowella cat have done awesome though. Even though Ive only had my Farlowella Vittata for about 3 weeks now I think he's going to be ok because he is eating well and very active. Ill give GBR a try again one day. :lol:

Hearing this about shrimp and kuhlis worries me a little, heh.

What kind of shrimp seem to be the most difficult to keep? I've heard Amanos are pretty hardy if you maintain your water parameters. They're also larger too, which is a plus when the most common thing I've heard about RCS is how quickly they're eaten by other fish! haha

Mine's been wild Altum Angels. I've tried numerous times, even had a pair spawn once but nothing came of it. Since there were no RO filters back then, I may need to try them again with different water. :whistle:

Mine's been wild Altum Angels. I've tried numerous times, even had a pair spawn once but nothing came of it. Since there were no RO filters back then, I may need to try them again with different water. :whistle:

Just Googled them. They really need a low ph. Sounds like it would be quite a project. Do you have a source for them currently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's funny when starting this I was expecting a lot of fish I had no idea what they where but so far it seems like common fish give the most problem

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom