Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Has anyone here taken their fish to a vet?

I just read this story on StL's website. Cute.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lif...F?OpenDocument

I especially like this:

"I always thought fish were for weird people," she said. "Why would anyone want a fish?"

a-DUH! Because they are awesome?! Hello!! 8O

Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its crazy. I can see paying if you have a show fish or an expensive, rare fish. But a betta, no way. Any of my fish who aren't show quality get treated at home. Instead of using pins to repair broken fins, I'll use melafix. And what fish needs a glass eye? Can't you just leave it with one eye and let it live. So long as the water quality is good it isn't going to die. Its just way too much for me.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree! I reserve spending the big vet $$ on my kitties.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
Re: Has anyone here taken their fish to a vet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandGhoti
I especially like this:

"I always thought fish were for weird people," she said. "Why would anyone want a fish?"

a-DUH! Because they are awesome?! Hello!! 8O
well, i dont think anyone on AA can say they are persectly normal ;)

The only fish that i would even consider having surgury done to would be a koi... the large ones which are owrth like 10k a peice. LOL

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I have more veterinary experience with fish than any vets within an 8 hour-drive, I am certain, and have been doing minor surgeries on my fish since I was but a lad....short answer, no.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
From working at a vet's office, I know there aren't a lot of people who are eager to put in that kind of expense and effort into a dog or cat, let alone a fish. But of course, there's money to be made with koi especially, and possibly some others. I'll get in on it someday.

I've always thought it was weird how fish are the only pets who receive medical care exclusively from people with no veterinary training whatsoever. And it's totally acceptable, and people are shocked if fish do go to vets. I think there's a little something wrong with that, considering the potential for harm when you don't know what you're doing.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
i will happily spend money on my cats, rats and mice (i have spent 100s on a mouse vet bills once) but not for fish. how to you examine a fish anyway?!
zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:44 AM   #8
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic
I've always thought it was weird how fish are the only pets who receive medical care exclusively from people with no veterinary training whatsoever. And it's totally acceptable, and people are shocked if fish do go to vets. I think there's a little something wrong with that, considering the potential for harm when you don't know what you're doing.
Yes and no...I actually know of no one that does not know what they are doing that does medical care for their fish, outside of simple medications. The vet thing is a bit dangerous, too...here in Canada, we actually had a push by some vets that would have made it impossible to obtain even ich medication without an in office veterinary consultation ($50+, and practically problematic at best).
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wouldn't you just treat the ich with salt then? What can a vet do for ich that you can't already do at home?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
is taking the fish the vet something that everyone does? no, but that doesn't make it wrong.

who are we to say that a cat's life is of more value than a betta's? can you put a price on a soul?

a living creature is a living creature, and i would hope that everyone here respects life enough not to overlook it based on a price tag

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com