Has anyone here taken their fish to a vet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its crazy. I can see paying if you have a show fish or an expensive, rare fish. But a betta, no way. Any of my fish who aren't show quality get treated at home. Instead of using pins to repair broken fins, I'll use melafix. And what fish needs a glass eye? Can't you just leave it with one eye and let it live. So long as the water quality is good it isn't going to die. Its just way too much for me.

LandGhoti said:
I especially like this:

"I always thought fish were for weird people," she said. "Why would anyone want a fish?"

a-DUH! Because they are awesome?! Hello!! 8O

well, i dont think anyone on AA can say they are persectly normal ;)

The only fish that i would even consider having surgury done to would be a koi... the large ones which are owrth like 10k a peice. LOL

I have more veterinary experience with fish than any vets within an 8 hour-drive, I am certain, and have been doing minor surgeries on my fish since I was but a lad....short answer, no.

From working at a vet's office, I know there aren't a lot of people who are eager to put in that kind of expense and effort into a dog or cat, let alone a fish. But of course, there's money to be made with koi especially, and possibly some others. I'll get in on it someday.

I've always thought it was weird how fish are the only pets who receive medical care exclusively from people with no veterinary training whatsoever. And it's totally acceptable, and people are shocked if fish do go to vets. I think there's a little something wrong with that, considering the potential for harm when you don't know what you're doing.

i will happily spend money on my cats, rats and mice (i have spent 100s on a mouse vet bills once) but not for fish. how to you examine a fish anyway?!

Mosaic said:
I've always thought it was weird how fish are the only pets who receive medical care exclusively from people with no veterinary training whatsoever. And it's totally acceptable, and people are shocked if fish do go to vets. I think there's a little something wrong with that, considering the potential for harm when you don't know what you're doing.

Yes and no...I actually know of no one that does not know what they are doing that does medical care for their fish, outside of simple medications. The vet thing is a bit dangerous, too...here in Canada, we actually had a push by some vets that would have made it impossible to obtain even ich medication without an in office veterinary consultation ($50+, and practically problematic at best).

Wouldn't you just treat the ich with salt then? What can a vet do for ich that you can't already do at home?

is taking the fish the vet something that everyone does? no, but that doesn't make it wrong.

who are we to say that a cat's life is of more value than a betta's? can you put a price on a soul?

a living creature is a living creature, and i would hope that everyone here respects life enough not to overlook it based on a price tag

I try not to overlook based on pricetag, but I work in a homeless shelter. The people I work with would love to have to opportunity to spend $1000 on a sick betta. But its not going to happen for them. I try to maintain some small sense of logic in this crazy world.

one time i had a 80 dollar discus sick and i needed to get meds asap.. i had called my vet to get it cause i couldnt find it at a pet store locally at the time
Well i got it, only after being laughed at. They pretty much thought i was nuts.
I dont know so much about taking them to the vet.
but if i need something for my fish to make them live. I will do just about everything i can to help them.
But i wouldnt be taking a few hundred dollars out of my familys pocket to take them to have surgery.

Today I just found out that a vet that sometimes subs in our clinic works mostly for a fish vet. As it turns out, most of their business is related to pond maintenance rather than a whole lot of medical care. The guy also wrote a book and does lectures, so a lot of his income comes in that way too. He does only koi though. I think he's missing out on the discus and marine fish.

I'm going to see if maybe I can work for him on Saturdays or something. :)

Back
Top Bottom