Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What's a good nitrate number for planted?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMonk86 View Post
I worded that poorly. If one buys a new fish and puts him in QT, then adds seasoned sponge / gravel for ammonia & nitrites. Then, if you had these seasoned balls they would assist with nitrates in the unplanted QT.
Yeah that would work. If you have purchased this media already, use it but if not and unless the Nitrates in the QT are above 40ppm, I wouldn't bother. WCs will sort the Nitrates, unless you have high nitrates 20+ in your tap.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMonk86 View Post
What's a good nitrate number for planted?
I'm pretty new to plants myself but around 20-30 are fine.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #14
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm tempted to try anyways, mine go about 40 which isn't too stressful I know but I'm just curious if it can work. Has anyone tried them? I kind of mentioned them and the family just rolled their eyes that there might be another package if I can get them pretty cheap I could replace sinter in the canister ( it's like ceramic shards) and try it.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I'm tempted to try anyways, mine go about 40 which isn't too stressful I know but I'm just curious if it can work. Has anyone tried them? I kind of mentioned them and the family just rolled their eyes that there might be another package if I can get them pretty cheap I could replace sinter in the canister ( it's like ceramic shards) and try it.
Before I planted my tank, I spent a LONG time researching how to build a cost effective nitrate filter. I looked into Seachem denitrate. According to their site, Anaerobic bacteria(removes Nitrate) only survives in flows below 50gph(US). Anything above that and it's Aerobic Bacteria(Ammonia/Nitrite removal/conversion) that grows. I came to the conclusion that the best, most cost affective solution would be use an Aquaclear 30, set at it's lowest flow, to work as an Anaerobic Bacteria(Nitrate removing) filter. The best thing about this set-up is, as you can add other media(sponges, floss) to the filter, it will give you more mechanical filtration plus a bit more flow in the tank. If I do indeed to set-up a system to tackle Nitrate in a non-planted tank, this is the way I would go. I'm not saying this media the OP mentioned is not any good or will not work, it's just the set-up I would go with. I'm NOT suggesting my method as a way of reducing or stopping WCs, it's just that I have 20-40ppm in my tap water......
I guess this media could be used in a HOB/Internal/Canister filter but would/may need a flow of less than 50gph, which would rule out most/all canister filters, that I know of......
Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #16
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Before I planted my tank, I spent a LONG time researching how to build a cost effective nitrate filter. I looked into Seachem denitrate. According to their site, Anaerobic bacteria(removes Nitrate) only survives in flows below 50gph(US). Anything above that and it's Aerobic Bacteria(Ammonia/Nitrite removal/conversion) that grows. I came to the conclusion that the best, most cost affective solution would be use an Aquaclear 30, set at it's lowest flow, to work as an Anaerobic Bacteria(Nitrate removing) filter. The best thing about this set-up is, as you can add other media(sponges, floss) to the filter, it will give you more mechanical filtration plus a bit more flow in the tank. If I do indeed to set-up a system to tackle Nitrate in a non-planted tank, this is the way I would go. I'm not saying this media the OP mentioned is not any good or will not work, it's just the set-up I would go with. I'm NOT suggesting my method as a way of reducing or stopping WCs, it's just that I have 20-40ppm in my tap water......
I guess this media could be used in a HOB/Internal/Canister filter but would/may need a flow of less than 50gph, which would rule out most/all canister filters, that I know of......

Yes, know what you mean, I only had a quick look early on and couldn't be bothered trying to deal with flow rates and pwc's were easy as my tap water has 5ppm nitrate. I'm tempted as an experiment and just to see what happens. Worse I figure is it just gets colonised by normal bb but I plan to clean this canister over Easter holidays and see how much I would need / see what the cost would be.

Did you ever work out how much is needed? I hate to try 500grams when I need 50 kilos
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes, know what you mean, I only had a quick look early on and couldn't be bothered trying to deal with flow rates and pwc's were easy as my tap water has 5ppm nitrate. I'm tempted as an experiment and just to see what happens. Worse I figure is it just gets colonised by normal bb but I plan to clean this canister over Easter holidays and see how much I would need / see what the cost would be.

Did you ever work out how much is needed? I hate to try 500grams when I need 50 kilos
Yeah it's worth a shot. Do you mean how much of Seachems denitrate??
Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #18
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Yeah it's worth a shot. Do you mean how much of Seachems denitrate??

That sounds good - if you may know just to get a rough idea?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That sounds good - if you may know just to get a rough idea?
It says that 500g treats 100-200ltrs. Here is the link with more info......
Sorry OP for going slightly off topic but this info is related to what you want to achieve, reducing Nitrates. Although not particularly about the product you mentioned, it is another option to look into....
Seachem. denitrate
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #20
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
It says that 500g treats 100-200ltrs. Here is the link with more info......
Sorry OP for going slightly off topic but this info is related to what you want to achieve, reducing Nitrates. Although not particularly about the product you mentioned, it is another option to look into....
Seachem. denitrate

Oops, yes - bit sideways on topic. Thanks for the info. I reckon I could do a few kilos but I think I will swap it into the slower canister. Will have to check flow rates when back home to see how different. Can't do it for a bit, will have to be later in year.

Tags
ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com