Has Anyone Volunteered at an Aquarium or Zoo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking into some of the volunteer programs at the Baltimore Aquarium and the National Zoo in D.C. Have any of you done this or something similar to this? I would love to hear tales of experience (good and/or bad). Personally I think it would be a lot of fun to help! There is a year-long commitment, but I really don't see it as a problem. So long as life doesn't throw anything too unexpected my way. :)

If you are interested in doing something like this, I've found most of these places have links to the information and requirements right on the front page of their websites.

No experience, but I've looked into this before. My advice...shoot for the Baltimore Aquarium. The National Zoo has been going through a lot of issues lately...problems with their director mainly and animal care, and plus well...it's MUCH easier to navigate around Baltimore than to navigate around DC. I believe they (the National Zoo) have gotten alot of their problems out of the way by hiring and firing some people. An apartment in DC will cost you, I'm guessing, atleast double what one in Baltimore would, if that is something you are considering as well.

You'll be doing alot of the nasty work....cleaning mainly. They tell you that on the Baltimore Aquarium website I believe. But it can open the door to a lot more experiences and jobs in the future.

Just some tidbits. :) Best of luck!

Hmm, sounds kind of neato. You said it was a year long commitment? I have to complete 50 hrs of volunteer work/community service to graduate from high school. Volunteering at a zoo or aquarium would be right up my alley.

Heck, I work at an LFS :p

Sadly, there are no large aquariums within reasonable driving distance from where I live so a zoo would be more practicable for me.

I'd be interested to see what you do.

edit, my cousin works at a small zoo and a lot of his work consist of cleaning cages. So I guess if you're not afraid to get your hands wet/dirty it'll be no biggie.

I have inquired and even wrote to the NJ aquarium about volunteering, but I never heard back. The best of luck to you, I think it's a wonderful thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom