Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
hassled over fish?

now this is gonna sound odd, but has anyone else been hassled over keeping fish as pets and/ or spending alot of your time and money on them, I don't mena just nagging from a aloved one or friend but hassled to the point that it hurts your feelings, or am I the only one? my parents and friends have been giving me a really hard time about keeping fish, they say I waste my money and time and that its not " manly " to keep fish, I mean its insane, I work hard for al iving, its my choice what I spend my money on and time when I'm not working, sorry I had to get that off my chest, it really bothers me for some reason

Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #2

I've been hassled enough with other stuff I have done to know what you are talking about, but the way I see it is when those people are stressing out about something that is trivial I can always just sit back and watch the fish and not have a care in the world! Hang in there, like you said its your choice to do what you want.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
IMO people don't understand this hobby if they aren't in it. They don't understand the relaxation and the addiction that comes with it. I also quite often find that when others complain because you have something that you love to do, it is because something is lacking in their own lives. Sour grapes if you will. I pay people no nevermind, it gives me peace. Life is short, you'll never get out alive, so you might as well do what you love to do, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. You should be proud to not fit into a "category" of manly, or not. Walking to your own beat and following your heart is the most manly thing you can do. I have the utmost respect for the men I know that have a heart and compassion. Ok I'm getting off my soap box now.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

you guys sure know how to pick up an a guy when he's down, Zagz you put it well at the end abou tthe guys with hear and compasion, alot of people look at how my upper body is completely covered in tattoos, or my long blue gotee and think i'm a thug, but honestly, I'm just a huge softy, thye don't call me the gothic teddy bear for nuttin lol
Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone who would argue that fish keeping isn't manly obviously has a narrow perspective. Are we only supposed to watch sports, hunt, and drink beers with the guys? Maybe if you only kept fish which fed on live fish it would be more manly. Seriously, I can't believe that your friends and your parents are giving you a hard time about it.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

you and me both, they weren't mad about me dropping a few grand in a partial body suit, but if I spend 30 bucks on a fish supply, its like I burned the money or something
Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have people look at me funny when I talk about my tanks, but there is nothing i love more than to sit back, relax, and watch my tanks when i get home from work (i work nights at TGI Friday's as a server).

If they don't like it, too bad. Its your money, its your hobby. Everyone has their quirks/addictions. Fish is ours.

(i hate people sometimes too)
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This gave me quite a laugh. I know this guy at work, he watches sports, drives a truck, smokes like crazy, drinks on his off hours, hunts, has a deep voice... just about as close as you can get to the "manly" stereotype really. Oh, did I mention he owns a 100 gallon saltwater tank?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, that is so crazy. I dunno about anyone else, but when I go to the LFS it's usually a tattooed guy with a bike that nets them little critters out of the tank for me.

When someone talks about the money I spend on whatever, I can usually find something they do as a hobby or just for pleasure (golf, cars, nice clothes, travel, eating out, collecting ugly figurines etc.) that I don't do. Life is to be enjoyed, and everyone spends their money on something that's not essential but that they love.

Send 'em our way-we'll give them what for----

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wouldn't really call it "hassled", but some people I know think it's a waste of my money to buy test kits/medications, a waste of time to test the water, and a waste of time to do water changes if the water doesn't 'look' dirty.

These are the old-schoolers that keep 2 goldfish in a 10-gal or do water changes only once a month (and then do a near 100% change). Odd though, their fish actually do well - which is probably what reinforces their belief that my 'maintenance' is unnecessary.

Ah well...to each their own.

6g Marineland Eclipse (8w T-5):
- anacharis, asian ambulia, java moss
- white cloud mountain minnows (10 = 6-7 inches total)
Closed Thread

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com