Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm one of those people that want a balance between green space (and the wilds) with jobs and a place to live. I want to be able to have my daughter be able to see wild creatures but at the same time I want a 2x4 when I need one.

My ex father in law lives in south central Pa. He has a farm and is a big hunter & fisherman. A decade or two back a disease wiped out a lot of the quail, him and his hunting buddies got some quail eggs and started raising them. They release most of them but keep some for food. He and his buddies are also active in helping out the bass and trout spawning..... Surprises a lot of people but the hunters and fishers tend to be into conservation.

*lol* I feel like an old fart anyway it is that time of the year.

Out in southeast Pa there is a state park, Ridley Creek State Park. You have a bunch of yuppies moving out by there (ritzy neighborhood). They are all against culling the deer in the park.... Overpopulation is a problem, pretty cruel way to go is starving to death.... They hate the idea of hunting in the park but as soon as a deer goes through the windshield of their BMWs they all of a sudden want hunting in the park.

Use what you can from your hunt. If you just want to shoot a gun for the sake of shooting a gun go to the rifle range.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Recently found a trap & skeet range nearby & have had a lot of fun, always leave sore as heck but still fun. I thought deer could also be a huge nuisance to farmers? I've heard of some who invited hunters in for that reason.

The people who seem to respect nature the most are those who spend time there - the first time hiking a trail, seeing one cigarette butt doesn't seem that bad, but the more time you spend there & see how things change as the seasons pass & how beautiful it is without our strip-malls, the more offensive that one bit of trash becomes.

::, stepping down::

Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah I need to quit smoking, did it for 5 months and then went back I always put my butts in my pocket.... leave the place as you found it as the saying goes.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with you guys. Where I live there is a lot of forest, rivers etc. Very wild up here. The other side of WA is the BMW's that hit deer lol. Anyway, a few years back there was a vote to stop hunting cougars with dogs. Every person on this side voted no, and everyone on the Westside voted yes. There are more people on that side of the state so you know that is passed. After that, we had 2 kids packed off (just in this town), peoples animals killed, they would even come onto the porch to eat dog and cat food! There were hardly any deer...So now, you can hunt cougar with dogs, if you have a special license or someone calls you because it is killing their stock, and we do not have as big of a cougar problem anymore. There are also what we call "The Town Deer", which come so close to your porch you could pet them, they are not afraid of anything. I enjoy it because they sleep behind my house under the little patch of trees, and bring the new babies through every day and night. I LOVE BABY ANIMALS! They do eat peoples crops, but up here we just deal with it and build super tall fences to keep them out, and most people have deer feeders and salt licks. The problem we are having now is bears, but that is something else we deal with lol, and when they become a nuisance, they trap them and relocate them, instead of killing them. The last 2 years I have also been able to see turkey vultures! Which are gross looking, but I had NEVER seen one when I was a kid! I almost ran off the road when I saw 2 sitting on a fence! They are also overhauling the dam up here, which costs millions, to put 3 blades in the turbines instead of 5, so the fish have a better chance of making it thru. All in all, this is a GREAT place to live, I love it, and I do not take it for granted!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it depends on how you were raised and where your food comes from. I personally dont like cleaning any animal so hunting is hard. I always felt bad when I killed a deer or turkey because I have plenty of food. With fish you can catch and release so you get the fun without the mess. It is hard to shoot and release unless your vet is there.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Out by Yak, in the desert I take it?

We have turkey buzzards out here. The radio station's mascot is a buzzard, and the town of Hinkley has a yearly festival for the day the Buzzards come back in the spring.

I miss living by the coast so I could go salt water fishing. Hopefully this summer I will find some time to go out on the Lake and get some Walleye.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

My brother and I are avid Offshore fishermen and I'm able to completely seperate the two. When reeling in a 200lb Mako, the last thing on my mind is my reef tank.

I'm such a hypocrite.. lol..

Now that I think about it, Anyone want to buy a boat? JK
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

we just did bay fishing.... Mostly sand sharks, blues and an occasional flounder.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKeenan View Post
we just did bay fishing.... Mostly sand sharks, blues and an occasional flounder.
Bay Fishing on LI is pretty tough these days due to the new Regs. It's virtually impossible to catch a legal fluke (Summer Flounder) in the bay anymore. The bay is full of 19inchers but the new regs are 23inches. Yikes.

Now you need like 50ft deep water to catch a legal one. Seems you need to go offshore for most of the good fishing (big blues, Striped Bass, etc)

Back on Topic though.. I don't think I could EVER hunt. I have no desire to shoot anything. Again.. I make no sense
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Down here we have hunted for bore/pigs. They are everywhere andd eat everything. So from my point of veiw i think you should only hunt what you need or what you can sustain. If you need food then hunt. If you think hunting is fun and there is enough to go around, then go right ahead. Now i think whatever you hunt should be ate not left there. As for fishing i have no problem fishing if i am going to eat the fish, but if i am not i really don't like to do it because it is uneccasary stress for the fish and can have bad effects for the fish in the long run, Many fish die soon after if the hook goes into the wrong place in there mouth. For example when i decided to go fishing for fun 1 time i went to a lake and caught a catfish, well the way a catfish eats its food is it sucks it into there mouth. So it sucked the food (and hook) way far down its mouth, so i could not get ahold of the hook, and catfish have the reaction to close there mouth when something moves into it. So the hook just kept going deeper and depper into the fish. So by the time i started getting the hook out there was internal damage and there was no way the fish could survive. So i had to euthinize it. So that is why i stopped fishing for fun if i don't want to eat the fish.

Tags
trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com