have trouble fishing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if it moves eat it.... My ex wife is redneck... First time I ever had squirrel was at the in-laws. Tasted good actually.

Look at the harm rabbits do in Australia, rats on some islands in the tropics....

I agree, hunt/fish if you are going to eat it. My husband and I go fishing and the fish we catch go to the elderly local people who can't do their own fishing anymore. I don't eat fish or seafood. We have had a problem up here with poaching. The guy will go shoot an elk or moose and just take the head, leaving to body to rot. Makes me sick when I hear about it! There have been 7 moose poached since the beginning of the year! We don't see a lot of moose up here so it's sad...

I know when my dad hunted he stuck to small game, rabbit & squirrel mostly, & used as much as he could. I might still have a little squirrel-skin coin purse somewhere (no joke).
Those that hunt just to add something to the decor of their den or fish just to brag about how many they catch & mount are repulsive. But I also have some trouble with 'catch-and-release', as I've heard than many fish starve to death when the tear in the mouths becomes infected or is simply so large that they can't eat.

I have a lot of trouble fishing... but my trouble is just catching any fish! Haha. I had goose eggs my last 3 times out. But no, although I love fish, I believe fishing is just another way to enjoy them. I do feel a bit of guilt every time though!

I love fishing too, and I do release the small ones. I know how to catch them to where it doesn't even make them bleed. The only ones I don't throw back are the ones who swallow the hook or have hit the floor of the boat. I have caught plenty of fish that had been hooked at one time or another, and they are still eating fine. We even caught one earlier this year (a big fat cuttthroat) and it had talon marks in it's back. Crazy! We think an eagle might have picked it up from the river and dropped it in the lake. I think fish can withstand a lot more than people give them credit for!

Those that hunt just to add something to the decor of their den or fish just to brag about how many they catch & mount are repulsive.

I agree, but i don't care so much if they use the rest of the body. If they eat the meat then mount it i see no problem with that. Same with game.

I love fishing too, and I do release the small ones. I know how to catch them to where it doesn't even make them bleed. The only ones I don't throw back are the ones who swallow the hook or have hit the floor of the boat. I have caught plenty of fish that had been hooked at one time or another, and they are still eating fine. We even caught one earlier this year (a big fat cuttthroat) and it had talon marks in it's back. Crazy! We think an eagle might have picked it up from the river and dropped it in the lake. I think fish can withstand a lot more than people give them credit for!

That is awsome with the fish that survived the eagle. If you are careful when removing the hook then your usually ok, but mistakes happen and that is when it gets me. But there is times there is eraversable damagge and you just have to euthinze. Just to say i think hooking fish in the stomach is cruel. It is illegal in most places, but people still do it.

I only hooked a fish in the stomach twice, but it was a total accident! We were on the lake, and we have to drop our lines down FAST to get thru the perch to the trout, and I felt a movement once my line settled so I jerked up, and I thought I had the big one, but no, I had hooked a trout in the belly....My husband was looking at me with a gaping mouth and asked how in the heck I did that. I don't know, he muct have been swimming above my hook lol. They were big enough to take home though, so no worries! If we make a mistake taking the hook out, then we keep them, but I hook them thru the nostril and can get the hook out without making them bleed or doing any damage. I guess my hooks are small enough for that.
My dad has turkey feathers displayed on their walls, but they also eat the turkey. He also has a ton of antlers, but we have eaten every bit of meat that came from the deer who once wore them.

we fish bass tournaments all the time and of course we release what we catch (after weigh ins)... I dont see it as cruel or anything like that... Now trout on the other hand, we always keep those because once you catch them, 90% of the time they wont make it... but bass, they are a pretty tough fish

You know how you get the skin off a catfish? You boil it for a little bit and then just peel the skin off. Catfish are REALLY hard to kill too! They can live for 3 days or so in a bucket.

Dk, not the way I clean em, I dont boil first, hard to get boiling water at the honey hole.

Perfect breakfast.

1 fillet of channel cat
2-3 panfish(gill,sunnies or perch)
1 fillet of walleye
eggs
milk

maybe some biscuits too.

I always let my catfish have their last words before they get skinned. Or leave the skin on just baste it with butter and brine.

So, do most people kill the fish before you begin cleaning it? Watching people cleaning their fish when the touring boats come in, most of them are already dead. Of course, I'm used to blue gill & the occasional bass, whereas they're bringing in stuff that couldn't fit in my golf bag!

Ours are never alive when we clean them. I could NEVER do that to anything living! I always think of how it would feel on myself....NO THANKS LOL!

That was pretty much the concern that started this whole silly thread - I've seen other people do it and felt horrible but thought it was standard practice. I enjoy fishing but if they could just magically 'go to sleep' as soon as the hook was in their mouth, it would bother me less. . .and I'd waste fewer worms on the big fish that always get away!

I never use worms lol. I can't stand to watch them squirm when they are cut....That can't feel good either! The fish up here like corn, so I only use that lol! I liked this thread, was fun to talk about fishing and stuff.

it s a question of values: value the life of every alive being. Education maybe?

Back
Top Bottom