Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
Down here we have hunted for bore/pigs. They are everywhere andd eat everything..
Just watched a Discovery Channel special on the Bore problems.. I think it was Texas though.. Crazy animals.. They are freaking huge

Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if it moves eat it.... My ex wife is redneck... First time I ever had squirrel was at the in-laws. Tasted good actually.

Look at the harm rabbits do in Australia, rats on some islands in the tropics....

Old 10-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, hunt/fish if you are going to eat it. My husband and I go fishing and the fish we catch go to the elderly local people who can't do their own fishing anymore. I don't eat fish or seafood. We have had a problem up here with poaching. The guy will go shoot an elk or moose and just take the head, leaving to body to rot. Makes me sick when I hear about it! There have been 7 moose poached since the beginning of the year! We don't see a lot of moose up here so it's sad...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

people like that should be eaten by rabid rabbits!

*lol* Totally misquote but pecked to death by cats!

Ambassador Londo Mollari: But this - this, this, this is like being nibbled to death by... what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet... go 'quack'...
Ambassador Vir Cotto: Cats.
Ambassador Londo Mollari: Cats. Being nibbled to death by cats.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know when my dad hunted he stuck to small game, rabbit & squirrel mostly, & used as much as he could. I might still have a little squirrel-skin coin purse somewhere (no joke).
Those that hunt just to add something to the decor of their den or fish just to brag about how many they catch & mount are repulsive. But I also have some trouble with 'catch-and-release', as I've heard than many fish starve to death when the tear in the mouths becomes infected or is simply so large that they can't eat.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

I have a lot of trouble fishing... but my trouble is just catching any fish! Haha. I had goose eggs my last 3 times out. But no, although I love fish, I believe fishing is just another way to enjoy them. I do feel a bit of guilt every time though!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love fishing too, and I do release the small ones. I know how to catch them to where it doesn't even make them bleed. The only ones I don't throw back are the ones who swallow the hook or have hit the floor of the boat. I have caught plenty of fish that had been hooked at one time or another, and they are still eating fine. We even caught one earlier this year (a big fat cuttthroat) and it had talon marks in it's back. Crazy! We think an eagle might have picked it up from the river and dropped it in the lake. I think fish can withstand a lot more than people give them credit for!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbeth82 View Post
Those that hunt just to add something to the decor of their den or fish just to brag about how many they catch & mount are repulsive.
I agree, but i don't care so much if they use the rest of the body. If they eat the meat then mount it i see no problem with that. Same with game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
I love fishing too, and I do release the small ones. I know how to catch them to where it doesn't even make them bleed. The only ones I don't throw back are the ones who swallow the hook or have hit the floor of the boat. I have caught plenty of fish that had been hooked at one time or another, and they are still eating fine. We even caught one earlier this year (a big fat cuttthroat) and it had talon marks in it's back. Crazy! We think an eagle might have picked it up from the river and dropped it in the lake. I think fish can withstand a lot more than people give them credit for!
That is awsome with the fish that survived the eagle. If you are careful when removing the hook then your usually ok, but mistakes happen and that is when it gets me. But there is times there is eraversable damagge and you just have to euthinze. Just to say i think hooking fish in the stomach is cruel. It is illegal in most places, but people still do it.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only hooked a fish in the stomach twice, but it was a total accident! We were on the lake, and we have to drop our lines down FAST to get thru the perch to the trout, and I felt a movement once my line settled so I jerked up, and I thought I had the big one, but no, I had hooked a trout in the belly....My husband was looking at me with a gaping mouth and asked how in the heck I did that. I don't know, he muct have been swimming above my hook lol. They were big enough to take home though, so no worries! If we make a mistake taking the hook out, then we keep them, but I hook them thru the nostril and can get the hook out without making them bleed or doing any damage. I guess my hooks are small enough for that.
My dad has turkey feathers displayed on their walls, but they also eat the turkey. He also has a ton of antlers, but we have eaten every bit of meat that came from the deer who once wore them.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

we fish bass tournaments all the time and of course we release what we catch (after weigh ins)... I dont see it as cruel or anything like that... Now trout on the other hand, we always keep those because once you catch them, 90% of the time they wont make it... but bass, they are a pretty tough fish

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com