Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

have trouble fishing?

I've caught several discussions on how best to euthanize a fish, which in addition to making me depressed, got me wondering - do 'fish people' have trouble catching & cleaning fish?

Personally, I'm fine when the fish is in the lake or ocean and when it's in the bucket, but when it's hooked or when it's still alive and being cleaned, it's saddening. Once the little thing is dead it's tolerable again, but seeing it suffering & gasping I can't handle.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well to me it is evolution. Humans are omnivores. The difference between hunting/fishing and getting the meat at the market is that you have to get your own hands dirty.... Ironic thing is that most hunters & farmers have more respect for the meat on their table than the person so far removed and get it in a plastic package.

Back in the day we would give thanks to the animal for feeding us.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with JP, but I still won't knock the fish out when I catch it, I make my husband do it and then we immediatley put it on ice. I am sure this is not the most humane way, but it's the only way we have in a tiny boat. I won't even cut the worm when either lol. I went hunting once, shot the deer, it ran like 200 yds and then died. I felt terrible that I won't hunt anymore....We have a lot of respect for the meat my family hunts, like he said, we give thanks for the animal feeding us.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I don't eat fish or sea food...yuck!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I separate the two hobbies... I have a dog, and i could never kill it, but i love to hunt. I love fishing, but i also care alot about my fish. Now dont get me wrong, i dont stop eating for days and lay around and mope if i have a fish die, but i do get upset because i love watching my fish. When we go fishing, i dont think about my fish. I guess its because i dont keep any fish in my tanks that i would catch while fishing though lol

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have no problem with people who hunt or fish and use what they can of the animal, and respect those who are able to do so. People who hunt and donate the meat to food shelters are a blessing to the community. Personally, unless I had confidence that I could kill the animal quickly (i.e., with one shot so that it doesn't run terrified & in pain for a quarter of a mile), I couldn't do it.

I guess my question with fishing is when it's cleaned the only way I've seen it done - fish is moved from hook to a bucket or net, then onto a flat surface where it's filleted and de-boned while still struggling to breath - but it doesn't sound like anyone else here does that. My question wasn't meant as any type of condemnation.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

about the same way I am.... I will not swerve my car into on coming traffic to avoid a squirrel, but will do what I can to avoid hitting a dog or cat (pet).

On the same turn if the world crumbled and I was going to starve I would eat things I would not normally eat ("pets" and bugs).

With the pre-processed world we live in we are so far removed from the food we eat. Steak doesn't come from a cow, it comes from the super market. Bacon doesn't come from a pig it comes from Oscar Myer.

The thing when killing an animal is to try not prolong it's suffering and it give it the respect that all living things should have. It is the cycle of life. A big cat hunting a prey animal will try to make a quick kill (for two reasons, one is so that it will not get away with just an injury and the other is an unwritten law of nature between prey and predator).
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't ask someone to face an oil tanker in order to get a snapping turtle out of the road but am appalled by those who go out of their way to hit something (e.g., will intentionally leave their lane & risking hitting you in order to do so, seen it done to hit a goose herding it's young & they almost sent me off the road).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKeenan View Post
A big cat hunting a prey animal will try to make a quick kill (for two reasons, one is so that it will not get away with just an injury and the other is an unwritten law of nature between prey and predator).
I'd never thought of that second part before, mostly just about the predator not wanting to expend a limited resource, energy.

Tempted to express thoughts on some anti-meat eaters but not the place. . .
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

humans evolved to eat meat. I was a vegetarian for a few years. What gets me is the radical vegans.... come on it is a personal choice on what to eat.

To me if a million rats and monkeys need to die to find a cure for cancer so be it. I would rather they give cancer to people on death row and find a cure that way..... but to test stuff like soap and make-up on animals makes me sick.

Sad to say but our society is getting so polarized there doesn't seem to any middle ground where rational thought takes place

The friday before last I was coming home and a red fox darted out in the middle of the road to snag a rabbit. I slammed on the brakes and was just thinking "wow".

Up until 2002 I had never seen a fox in the wild. And for those of us old farts, it seems like some of the bird flocks are a lot bigger than they used to be when we were kids.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess it's when decisions are based on what a single organization tells you is right or wrong (with HUGE distinction between people-run organization and religious choices) that it seems foolish.

This isn't an attempt to make you feel more like an old fart, but my grandfather was the same way with deer - we spotted several on a golf course near Myrtle Beach. He was surprised because when he was young they had been fairly rare (he was raised on a farm in central Indiana), whereas I was used to seeing them from my bedroom window. It is impressive to see one animal hunting another, a chicken hawk that was invisible 2 seconds earlier carries off a rabbit you didn't realize was right in front of you. Rather humbling.

Tags
trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com