Help Idk what else to think of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaCheatah

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so heres my situation at the current moment i have my fish tank 25x18x25 on a 5 draw dresser now the top of the dresser is caving in enabling from me to open or close the top draw of the dresser

now my question is what can i use as a replacement

the replacement would have to be the same design tho 5 draw or 6 draw dresser
since my place is a bit small i cant just acquire a stand just for the tank

i am out of ideas on how to fix this cause i feel that my tank will cave the wood causing alot of water to be spilled and i would feel bad for the ppl who live below me lol

i just got back from a long trip and noticed that i am unable to get into my junk stash draw (not that i use it) and i just got into doing some rework on the tank starting new and fresh with a new cycle i would have to hate to decommission the whole thing due to this

thank you in advance

I'm sure someone will offer some really concrete instructions as to how do do this, but it's obvious that you need to add a center support bracket to the dresser.

I understand you don't have much room, however, there's a really good reason for having a fish stand, as you are seeing here.

How many gallons is it? Yours sounds almost like mine. I'm not completely sire the dementions of mine..but mine's a 29 gallon and is on a 4 drawer small dresser from Ikea. My family and i did alot of shopping to make sure it was sturdy enough to hold so much water and rock, etc. maybe try Ikea and test the sturdiness of The dresser when ur there somehow?

25x18x25 inches = 48 gallons

see the thing is that the tank sits on a white board 1 inch 3 feet long
and the dresser is self is 2ft 31inches

but they are both bending in on the dressers draw that i am scared one day it will all give in making the tank spill alot of water into electronics and the ppl who live below me

That's over 400 lbs of weight, and that's just the water. That's not adding in the tank itself, any decor, the gravel, etc.

Are you still wondering why it's buckling? ;)

AquaCheatah said:
25x18x25 inches = 48 gallons

see the thing is that the tank sits on a white board 1 inch 3 feet long
and the dresser is self is 2ft 31inches

but they are both bending in on the dressers draw that i am scared one day it will all give in making the tank spill alot of water into electronics and the ppl who live below me

I think you should start lowering your water (removing water) and once the water's low enough scoop out your fish carefully with a net into a big container of their water for them so u can move your tank onto the floor and re-add water. Then re-add ur fish and make sure that everything in the water is at the rt ph, etc.. (only my opinio though). Then start searching for Something sturdier even if it's not a dresser.

I agree with smiley, you should do it asap
That amount of water will cause huge amounts of damage
Mold is a huge potential risk

I used to have my ten gallon on a 3/4 inch 36" melanin board and it was bending toward the middle, not noticable until I used my level

I can imagine 500 pounds on a one inch thick board!

Fishnova said:
I agree with smiley, you should do it asap
That amount of water will cause huge amounts of damage
Mold is a huge potential risk

I used to have my ten gallon on a 3/4 inch 36" melanin board and it was bending toward the middle, not noticable until I used my level

I can imagine 500 pounds on a one inch thick board!

Yeah! That's bad! You'll have to do it soon..even more important to do it soon since you said u had neighbors below u right?

yea i do but this is bad on my part its been like this for about 2yrs now

but started to notice that the top board to the dresser is starting to cave in the middle the ends are fine you see the gap i can open the second draw and the third with out any problem and so forth but idk i really dont want to get rid of my tank and its something every ones been telling me

cause there is no space unless i find something more stable to hold that much
i was thinking of solid wood dresser ?: idk but any ideas of where ?>>

You need a fish stand with that much weight. If everybody's telling you to downsize or get rid of the tank, it's a possibility you might have to entertain. Besides, you are accountable for not only whatever mess it makes in your own apartment, but also for the people who might suffer property damage below you. Is it worth it?

Another option could be to make yourself a stand to fit around your chest of drawers using 3" by 2" timber to form a box frame with diagonal bracing on all uprights apart from the front. You'll probably need a horizontal cross member at the bottom front to prevent spreading too. Clad in 1" marine ply for extra rigidity and prettiness. A good coat of primer and gloss paint and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom