Help!! Is my pleco dead ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badmanas1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
FD56A51D-6958-4E2F-BE25-CC56423F0930.jpg I’ve just recently done a water change on my fishtank, I took out all the ornaments as well as the bogwood for my clown pleco, I popped it on or near the side of the tank. I went to fetch some water to put back into the tank to find the small piece of wood had fallen back in. I lifted it up to find my pleco was underneath, but not crushed etc so I don’t believe he was directly hit ? But I don’t know whether it stunned him? The pleco seemed to be moving but kept freezing and refusing to move. I took him out the tank and put him in a separate jug with aquarium water in it, and he swam fine, but suddenly went on his back? I left him for 10 minutes and he seemed fine so I popped him back in the tank, then it started to twitch and froze again, it hasn’t moved now for 1 hour and I don’t know whether or not it’s dead or he’s just stressed/stunned by the wood falling ? Please could someone help, I’ve linked a photo of what he looks like

Attachments

• 20F18CA7-41D1-42D0-8094-02417842D9A3.jpg
    20F18CA7-41D1-42D0-8094-02417842D9A3.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 146
  • E0D70BCB-2809-4F8C-989F-238B0FECA1A7.jpg
    E0D70BCB-2809-4F8C-989F-238B0FECA1A7.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 129
  • C1884CD9-6266-4976-B2A4-98B47110F7A6.jpg
    C1884CD9-6266-4976-B2A4-98B47110F7A6.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 150
I’ve left them alone and turned the lights off, came back to check on him and it’s moved ? But I don’t know if that’s my goldies possibly pushing it

Hello, there are 2 possibility's 1- is shock & 2 - internal damage. Both can kill. For shock I would keep light off & leave him alone so's not to stress him more. 2 - I don't think anything can be done for that. I believe just need to wait & see how things turn out. Hope this helps you!

The Plecos colouration is fading and turning white so I’m presuming he didn’t make it ?

Hello, sorry he's not going to make it, you may want to pull him from tank & float in bag or container in tank so he stays warm. IMO as long he is not thrashing about I would not euthanize & remember accidents & mistakes happen(everybody in hobby makes them)as long as we learn & not repeat than not total loss. Hope this helps!

[/ATTACH]I’ve come home from university to find he had moved ? The white spot has gone but now he looks like this, I’ve linke a photo aboveA1A0ED5D-94D9-450B-86F4-78E0AC4BBF5D.jpg

image.jpg

His colouration is returning? He’s sort of a dark green/light brown colour. but he has a red area on the top of his head? Along his head above his eyes ? As if it’s on his neck.

But the most stressful thing is that there’s still no sign of breathing ? I went into my life today and he said it could be that he’s shocked by the scenario and is just “super annoyed off” with me ?

They look like marks, and I don’t but I’ve just bought myself a new 100L tank today so I have the current 35L available

Also, when coming back to the pleco today I noticed he was covered in algae? It looked it had come off my plants ? But then I don’t know whether he was shedding or not

I just want you to know I'm no vet & only fishkeeping for 2yrs. So plz take advise w/grain of salt. So If others w/more exp see this & can help plz do!!!!!

K, wouldn't use qt tank unless it has heater & cycled filter! No open cuts so no meds required. Only thing I can say is still might internal or could be back injury. I would keep treating like shock but watch on bruised areas(in case cut) for fungus or infection. Make sure tankmates don't bother him. Hopefully he's just banged a little & sore!!!!!

Having an injury is similar if like a person sometimes you're laid up for awhile getting better and sometimes it is faster or longer, and sometimes it can't be fixed.

So see if it is getting any better with time. Looking like an algae coat doesn't sound positive though.

Keeping the water condition A+ is important. Make sure you do frequent water changes during the illness, as the stress of dealing with bad water parameters takes away their energy to heal and get well.

Back
Top Bottom