Help Me Choose A QT Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Background Do You Like The Best?

Votes: 2 6.1%

Votes: 4 12.1%

Votes: 6 18.2%

Votes: 5 15.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.0%

Votes: 3 9.1%

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's something serene about #14...but if the fish in it are a problem, then maybe you can crop them out?

That one may be a little tricky to crop the fish out of due to a few of the fish being in the middle. I could give it a shot though... that is, if it wins. ;)

i do love #3 too...so either one I guess is cool...can't wait to see the FTS after....

I had no doubt that #3 would get a lot of votes. When I first saw the pic, I kind of got lost in it for a minute or so. It's a shame I can't find a higher resolution version of that one... it would be on my display tank in a heartbeat! (y)

maybe after when the voting is done, would it be possible for me to get all the links to those pics? Just want them as a screensaver in my laptop...those pictures relaxes me...:) that is, if you don't mind at all.

I love number nine. It's so peaceful. All of them are amazing, but nine is my favorite.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

#9 is really cool, i admit...and I just looked at #11 and it is pretty interesting (good interesting). I like it!

Yeah, all of these are amazing. Okay, putting the iPod DOWN and going to bed!! Let's see if that lasts!! Wish me luck, lol!!

Lol. I already have enough problems with insomnia with out my brain saying, "Just one peek? What if there is an urgent post that you NEED NEED NEED to see, huh? What then, girl?"

It's like, shut up brain!! I don't actually hear voices like that, I was exaggerating.

LOL...i know what you mean. I don't have insomnia but when I am really into the PC, I could stay until the morning...LOL. My father in law before told me that the only thing that could separate myself from the PC is if they will get a crow bar and take my behind off the chair with it. LOL!

If you are still looking to choose a background for a QT then use black. A designed background defeats the purpose of a QT because it makes identifying disease/parasites more difficult. The background, if anything, won't make the fish less stressed, but moreso just cause confusion in the aspect of true QT.

Innovator said:
If you are still looking to choose a background for a QT then use black. A designed background defeats the purpose of a QT because it makes identifying disease/parasites more difficult. The background, if anything, won't make the fish less stressed, but moreso just cause confusion in the aspect of true QT.

If you had read the whole thread before commenting then you would know the background will be removable for observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Leopard danio said:
I would go with #6 because it is like the only one without fish

McLumpy said:
Oh and there are portions of some of the backgrounds that I cropped out that don't include any fish. So if anyone likes the background, but agree that the fish would not be a good idea, I can more than likely recrop it to where the fish are left out.

Wait, what about turtles? The one w/ the turtles is beautiful! I guess I can always crop them out too if that one ends up being the winner. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I am just wondering where u got thos pic

Keep in mind that I cannot take credit for the photos. They were found by doing an extensive google search so I don't know if they are copyrighted or not. With that being said, I ask that you respect the photographers and only print the photos for personal use.

Is anyone reading this thread? lol

As a matter of fact I didn't read your thread nor do I plan to because my comment is still justifiable. QT is supposed to be as calming as possible and graphic backgrounds cause confusion by showing the animal something that isn't there (rock, plants, refuge, etc). In the distant past I've witnessed fish literally bash their heads into the glass thinking they could gain cover from a territorial dispute (just like putting food or picture of against the glass and watching your fish stress itself trying to consume it. With that being said, removing the cover will spook the fish into retreat and still limit proper visuals (you should have proper visuals of the fish anytime you pass, not just when you feel its their time to be stared at, if you know what I mean).

Last edited:
As a matter of fact I didn't read your thread nor do I plan to because my comment is still justifiable. QT is supposed to be as calming as possible and graphic backgrounds cause confusion by showing the animal something that isn't there (rock, plants, refuge, etc). In the distant past I've witnessed fish literally bash there heads into the glass thinking they could gain cover from a territorial dispute (just like putting food or picture of against the glass and watching your fish stress itself trying to consume it. With that being said, removing the cover will spool the fish into retreat and still limit proper visuals (you should have proper visuals of the fish anytime you pass, not just when you feel its their time to be stared at, if you know what I mean).

Ouch. Twitchy much? Listen, I understand your point, I do. But excuse me for wanting to get some opinions on background designs, (just for fun btw). Geez.

Out of curiousity, how exactly does adding a background to a 10 gallon QT differ from having a 10 gallon setup w/ resident fish? Is adding a background to a 10 gallon display tank a big no-no too? Will the fish in a display tank bash their heads in as well?

Also to clarify, (in more depth), this background was going to be used more or less for a picture, (to post on here), and to make it less of an eye-sore in my office after I move my fish to my main tank and empty it.

Sorry for trying to increase member interactions via, what I thought would be, a fun thread. I'll try to refrain from doing that from now on.

Sorry if my post seemed aggressive, it wasn't meant to be. Fish in QT are far more territorial and less tolerant of other species and especially conspecifics (it's a stressful period). Fish will react to backgrounds on main displays (I've seen some ugly head-on collisions with glass), but their environment is much more "tolerable" (established territories, not being medicated, "natural" environments, etc.). I'm not saying what you want to do is horrible by any means, just giving you the possible downsides I've experienced :)

Back
Top Bottom