Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Which Background Do You Like The Best?
1 2 6.06%
2 4 12.12%
3 6 18.18%
4 5 15.15%
5 2 6.06%
6 2 6.06%
7 0 0%
8 1 3.03%
9 1 3.03%
10 0 0%
11 3 9.09%
12 0 0%
13 1 3.03%
14 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bettababe1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest
Posts: 5,447
Yup, we seem to have that in common.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.
__________________

__________________
Fish are friends, not food!
-Dakota
Bettababe1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,462
If you are still looking to choose a background for a QT then use black. A designed background defeats the purpose of a QT because it makes identifying disease/parasites more difficult. The background, if anything, won't make the fish less stressed, but moreso just cause confusion in the aspect of true QT.
__________________

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
If you are still looking to choose a background for a QT then use black. A designed background defeats the purpose of a QT because it makes identifying disease/parasites more difficult. The background, if anything, won't make the fish less stressed, but moreso just cause confusion in the aspect of true QT.
If you had read the whole thread before commenting then you would know the background will be removable for observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
__________________
Pvtdgrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #34
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
I would go with #6 because it is like the only one without fish
__________________
Leopard danio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard danio
I would go with #6 because it is like the only one without fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy

Oh and there are portions of some of the backgrounds that I cropped out that don't include any fish. So if anyone likes the background, but agree that the fish would not be a good idea, I can more than likely recrop it to where the fish are left out.

Wait, what about turtles? The one w/ the turtles is beautiful! I guess I can always crop them out too if that one ends up being the winner.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
__________________
Pvtdgrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ottawa canada
Posts: 77
I am just wondering where u got thos pic
__________________
Brendan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan99 View Post
I am just wondering where u got thos pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy View Post
Keep in mind that I cannot take credit for the photos. They were found by doing an extensive google search so I don't know if they are copyrighted or not. With that being said, I ask that you respect the photographers and only print the photos for personal use.
Is anyone reading this thread? lol
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,462
As a matter of fact I didn't read your thread nor do I plan to because my comment is still justifiable. QT is supposed to be as calming as possible and graphic backgrounds cause confusion by showing the animal something that isn't there (rock, plants, refuge, etc). In the distant past I've witnessed fish literally bash their heads into the glass thinking they could gain cover from a territorial dispute (just like putting food or picture of against the glass and watching your fish stress itself trying to consume it. With that being said, removing the cover will spook the fish into retreat and still limit proper visuals (you should have proper visuals of the fish anytime you pass, not just when you feel its their time to be stared at, if you know what I mean).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
As a matter of fact I didn't read your thread nor do I plan to because my comment is still justifiable. QT is supposed to be as calming as possible and graphic backgrounds cause confusion by showing the animal something that isn't there (rock, plants, refuge, etc). In the distant past I've witnessed fish literally bash there heads into the glass thinking they could gain cover from a territorial dispute (just like putting food or picture of against the glass and watching your fish stress itself trying to consume it. With that being said, removing the cover will spool the fish into retreat and still limit proper visuals (you should have proper visuals of the fish anytime you pass, not just when you feel its their time to be stared at, if you know what I mean).
Ouch. Twitchy much? Listen, I understand your point, I do. But excuse me for wanting to get some opinions on background designs, (just for fun btw). Geez.

Out of curiousity, how exactly does adding a background to a 10 gallon QT differ from having a 10 gallon setup w/ resident fish? Is adding a background to a 10 gallon display tank a big no-no too? Will the fish in a display tank bash their heads in as well?

Also to clarify, (in more depth), this background was going to be used more or less for a picture, (to post on here), and to make it less of an eye-sore in my office after I move my fish to my main tank and empty it.

Sorry for trying to increase member interactions via, what I thought would be, a fun thread. I'll try to refrain from doing that from now on.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,462
Sorry if my post seemed aggressive, it wasn't meant to be. Fish in QT are far more territorial and less tolerant of other species and especially conspecifics (it's a stressful period). Fish will react to backgrounds on main displays (I've seen some ugly head-on collisions with glass), but their environment is much more "tolerable" (established territories, not being medicated, "natural" environments, etc.). I'm not saying what you want to do is horrible by any means, just giving you the possible downsides I've experienced
__________________

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
background, quarantine tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help me choose!!!! maxima423 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 08-13-2010 03:17 AM
Help me choose! zombie2k Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 03-09-2008 03:12 PM
Black background or Busy background?..... EdgarMedina1010 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 39 09-03-2006 12:31 PM
How to Choose???? bksterling Saltwater Reef Aquaria 13 03-09-2005 10:29 AM
Which would you choose.... ReefNooB Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 01-20-2005 11:16 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.