Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Which Background Do You Like The Best?
1 2 6.06%
2 4 12.12%
3 6 18.18%
4 5 15.15%
5 2 6.06%
6 2 6.06%
7 0 0%
8 1 3.03%
9 1 3.03%
10 0 0%
11 3 9.09%
12 0 0%
13 1 3.03%
14 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, we seem to have that in common.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

If you are still looking to choose a background for a QT then use black. A designed background defeats the purpose of a QT because it makes identifying disease/parasites more difficult. The background, if anything, won't make the fish less stressed, but moreso just cause confusion in the aspect of true QT.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
If you are still looking to choose a background for a QT then use black. A designed background defeats the purpose of a QT because it makes identifying disease/parasites more difficult. The background, if anything, won't make the fish less stressed, but moreso just cause confusion in the aspect of true QT.
If you had read the whole thread before commenting then you would know the background will be removable for observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #34

I would go with #6 because it is like the only one without fish
Old 02-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard danio
I would go with #6 because it is like the only one without fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy

Oh and there are portions of some of the backgrounds that I cropped out that don't include any fish. So if anyone likes the background, but agree that the fish would not be a good idea, I can more than likely recrop it to where the fish are left out.

Wait, what about turtles? The one w/ the turtles is beautiful! I guess I can always crop them out too if that one ends up being the winner.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am just wondering where u got thos pic
Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan99 View Post
I am just wondering where u got thos pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy View Post
Keep in mind that I cannot take credit for the photos. They were found by doing an extensive google search so I don't know if they are copyrighted or not. With that being said, I ask that you respect the photographers and only print the photos for personal use.
Is anyone reading this thread? lol
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

As a matter of fact I didn't read your thread nor do I plan to because my comment is still justifiable. QT is supposed to be as calming as possible and graphic backgrounds cause confusion by showing the animal something that isn't there (rock, plants, refuge, etc). In the distant past I've witnessed fish literally bash their heads into the glass thinking they could gain cover from a territorial dispute (just like putting food or picture of against the glass and watching your fish stress itself trying to consume it. With that being said, removing the cover will spook the fish into retreat and still limit proper visuals (you should have proper visuals of the fish anytime you pass, not just when you feel its their time to be stared at, if you know what I mean).
Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
As a matter of fact I didn't read your thread nor do I plan to because my comment is still justifiable. QT is supposed to be as calming as possible and graphic backgrounds cause confusion by showing the animal something that isn't there (rock, plants, refuge, etc). In the distant past I've witnessed fish literally bash there heads into the glass thinking they could gain cover from a territorial dispute (just like putting food or picture of against the glass and watching your fish stress itself trying to consume it. With that being said, removing the cover will spool the fish into retreat and still limit proper visuals (you should have proper visuals of the fish anytime you pass, not just when you feel its their time to be stared at, if you know what I mean).
Ouch. Twitchy much? Listen, I understand your point, I do. But excuse me for wanting to get some opinions on background designs, (just for fun btw). Geez.

Out of curiousity, how exactly does adding a background to a 10 gallon QT differ from having a 10 gallon setup w/ resident fish? Is adding a background to a 10 gallon display tank a big no-no too? Will the fish in a display tank bash their heads in as well?

Also to clarify, (in more depth), this background was going to be used more or less for a picture, (to post on here), and to make it less of an eye-sore in my office after I move my fish to my main tank and empty it.

Sorry for trying to increase member interactions via, what I thought would be, a fun thread. I'll try to refrain from doing that from now on.
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry if my post seemed aggressive, it wasn't meant to be. Fish in QT are far more territorial and less tolerant of other species and especially conspecifics (it's a stressful period). Fish will react to backgrounds on main displays (I've seen some ugly head-on collisions with glass), but their environment is much more "tolerable" (established territories, not being medicated, "natural" environments, etc.). I'm not saying what you want to do is horrible by any means, just giving you the possible downsides I've experienced

Tags
background, quarantine tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com