Help me save some bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend recently got two bettas without being told. He's keeping them in a bowl. I told him he needs to get a new tank but he decided to keep the bettas in there for life. Please help me convince my friend that bettas do not belong in bowls.

Tell him that what would he rather do, spend 30 bucks on a good tank, and 5 dollars on a Betta that will last him for years, or to be buying betas every two months for the rest of his life

Take your ammonia test kit over there and tell him that if he doesn't want a real tank he'll have to do a water change every time ammonia is over zero I'm sure he doesn't want to do WCs every other day

He claims he'll do water changes every other day. He also claims that he has a betta in a bowl that is a year old.

There are some tanks that are specialized just for Bettas. They cost around $20. Maybe 2.5 gallons or so. Is he putting two Bettas in one bowl?!

No he has two separate bowls. I'm telling him that bowls are terrible and he thinks I'm insulting him.

No he has two separate bowls. I'm telling him that bowls are terrible and he thinks I'm insulting him.

Bettas can be kept in bowls for short periods of time. Hate to say it, but when I was watching someone else's Betta I had to keep it in a bowl for about 3 weeks. I changed the water every couple days. But if he is looking to keep this Betta long term, he should invest in a tank. Nothing fancy... maybe a 2 gallon at the minimum. He could also get a 5 gallon tank with a divider.

And here is what I would tell him, "Hey [insert name here] a fish bowl has no filtration. Your Bettas really need a small tank with a filter so that the ammonia levels won't be off the charts. Anyway, fish bowls are ugly and there is no water flow. Your Betta will have a short life if he or she lives in a bowl."

Sorry, but you are insulting him. Bettas have been kept in bowls for centuries. EVERY Betta splenden in the aquarium hobby today is a descendant of a Betta that was kept in a bowl ( and not just for a few days either). As long as the bowl has clean water, safe temp and the fish get fed properly, there is no reason they can't be kept in a bowl.

But we've had this discussion before on many other threads. My suggestion would be to better inform people the proper way of keeping them if they are in a bowl(without the afore mentioned requirements) instead of telling people they are wrong for doing so. Explain that it takes more work to keep them in a bowl than a filtered tank but then let them decide how THEY want to keep them. In truth, a bowl is just a tank with round sides. (What's the difference between a 2 gal tank and a 2 gal bowl? )I've seen crappy tank setups with Bettas in them as well as bad bowls. It's about the husbandry not the container. The container only changes they way they are properly kept.

Please stop trying to push your agenda with false statements. Help people keep their fish with the facts (y) It can be and is being done all the time.

Sorry, but you are insulting him. Bettas have been kept in bowls for centuries. EVERY Betta splenden in the aquarium hobby today is a descendant of a Betta that was kept in a bowl ( and not just for a few days either). As long as the bowl has clean water, safe temp and the fish get fed properly, there is no reason they can't be kept in a bowl.

But we've had this discussion before on many other threads. My suggestion would be to better inform people the proper way of keeping them if they are in a bowl(without the afore mentioned requirements) instead of telling people they are wrong for doing so. Explain that it takes more work to keep them in a bowl than a filtered tank but then let them decide how THEY want to keep them. In truth, a bowl is just a tank with round sides. (What's the difference between a 2 gal tank and a 2 gal bowl? )I've seen crappy tank setups with Bettas in them as well as bad bowls. It's about the husbandry not the container. The container only changes they way they are properly kept.

Please stop trying to push your agenda with false statements. Help people keep their fish with the facts (y) It can be and is being done all the time.

I agree 100%. It comes down to the husbandry. I have bettas in containers ranging from a 56 gallon column tank (my sorority) down to 1.75 liter gin bottles with the necks cut off for my jarred bettas. My adult males are in a 10 gal, a divided 10 gal, and a 1.5 gal. All containers are at a nice warm temp (I do not have ac at the moment, but by winter I will have a nice floating contraption for holding separated fry in my new 40 gallon grow out) and the water is kept very clean. Of course the smaller tanks and "bowls" need way more maintenance, but the fish in smaller tanks do just fine. I just have to change their water out daily or every other day instead of weekly like I do on the bigger, filtered tanks. I also keep the smallest containers bare bottomed for easier maintenance.

For the long term I would say 1 gallon is the minimum water volume for a betta, but of course more work is needed the smaller the tank is.

There is a HUGE difference between a betta in a bowl and, say, a goldfish in a bowl. Bettas have a fairly low bioload and are able to breathe air from the surface, allowing them to live in unfiltered water (not dirty water, but water without the extra oxygen provided by the water movement of a filter). Also, bettas do not handle water movement very well - at least most of today's long finned varieties. So in some ways they do better without a filter, or at least without a strong filter. The key is proper care. With frequent water changes and not overfeeding, a betta can thrive in a bowl as long as the water is warm enough. And hey, they make heaters for bowls.

The only reason I do not keep any bettas in traditional bowls is this - distortion. I can't find any 1-2 gal bowls that are nice and clear. All the ones I see are not very smooth and have very poor clarity, and I want to be able to see my fish. That and I have enough work with the daily and every other day water changes for the fish I already have in smaller containers.

I think bettaowner just wants those Bettas to have the best life possible. I personally wouldn't keep a Betta in bowl.

Well we won the battle and my friend now understands he needs to get new tanks very soon.

I think bettaowner just wants those Bettas to have the best life possible. I personally wouldn't keep a Betta in bowl.

And that's fine if you don't but don't condenm those who properly care for their Bettas in a bowl. They can and do live a long healthy life in properly maintained bowls as well.
BTW, did you happen to notice that the size of the bowl in question was never discussed? What's the difference between a 2 gal tank and a 2 gal bowl?:confused:

And that's fine if you don't but don't condenm those who properly care for their Bettas in a bowl. They can and do live a long healthy life in properly maintained bowls as well.
BTW, did you happen to notice that the size of the bowl in question was never discussed? What's the difference between a 2 gal tank and a 2 gal bowl?:confused:

Ugly distorted curved walls, lol. I hate how fish look in traditional bowls. I prefer my little 1.5 gallon cube.

I wasn't condemning anyone... I was just giving some reasons why not the keep them in a bowl. I don't think there is a difference between a 2 gallon tank and a 2 gallon bowl in terms of size. Except... the tank would be easier the maintain than the bowl.

I wasn't condemning anyone... I was just giving some reasons why not the keep them in a bowl. I don't think there is a difference between a 2 gallon tank and a 2 gallon bowl in terms of size. Except... the tank would be easier the maintain than the bowl.

Actually, the reasons people use for keeping Bettas in tanks versus Bowls is not based on facts but on opinions. But this is a long standing argument that I don't care to continue as I've been debating it for over 40 years. It's enough already. If the internet is your source of information, then you must believe that EVERYTHING you read on the internet is the truth. Here's the truth ( and it's verifiable) , it's not all true. :eek: Anybody with internet access can put anything they want on the internet without it being true. Sad, I know, but true. For example, if you look all over the internet sites about Bettas, you'll see people saying they MUST have water volumes of 2 gal, 3 gal, 5 gal, & even 10 gal minimums. This is all hogwash (I'm old, I can use that term LOL:D) as there is no rule or scientific data on Betta keeping that says these amounts are a MUST. There is, however, centuries of actual Betta keeping that disputes all these claims of water volume minimums and necessary use of a square or rectangular shaped water holding container (a.k.a. Tank). So who do you believe, somebody with internet access and a keyboard or somebody who is actually doing what you are saying is not good for the fish and having continual success for multiple years with multiple fish? Experience is a better leader to follow. (in most people's opinions)

Lastly, here's something else to consider: You say a tank is easier to maintain than a bowl. If you have gravel in your tank, food , detritus other junk can hide within the gravel bed thus polluting the water. If you keep the gravel clean and you are using a cycled aquarium, you are messing with the bacteria bed, which is not a good thing. If you keep a bowl with no gravel or even with gravel and you are changing the water every other day, you are not effecting the bacteria bed as there is no bed to effect. You are supplying the fish with fresh clean water before any of his waste material has begun to break down. (If you don't believe me, put a Betta in a bowl, use the same size bowl that you would a tank, and do an ammonia test on day 2. ) I'd be willing to confidently say that my Betta bowl water is cleaner than your tank water. As for easier, my Betta water changes take just a couple of minutes. I have a jug of water set up right next to the bowls so the water is the same temp as the bowls. Fish in a cup, bowl under the faucet, faucet water drained, new water poured in, fish goes back in. That whole process takes me less than a minute to do. My fish have never been sick or parasitized using this method. Still think a tank is easier to maintain or the best thing for the fish? :whistle:

As I said, I'm not looking to argue. I'm trying to enlighten those wanting to keep fish. There are many ways of keeping fish healthy and happy. In the case of Bettas, I know it can be done in bowls just as well as tanks. This is fact based not opinion based. Can every fish be kept in a bowl? ABSOLUTELY not, but Bettas can. Is it easier in a bowl over a tank? Maybe. I do know it's more work in a bowl. And that's just it, I only ask that people explain what is necessary to do when keeping the fish in a bowl vs a tank instead of saying "IT MUST GO IN A TANK."
So I hope I have educated you a bit on the subject. The art of fish keeping is centuries old. If you do some research on this art, you'll find a lot of what of what you read on the internet, especially on forums such as this one, is not all correct. It's just somebody's opinion. Learn about the fish so you don't need other people's opinions. :brows: (y)

Actually, the reasons people use for keeping Bettas in tanks versus Bowls is not based on facts but on opinions. But this is a long standing argument that I don't care to continue as I've been debating it for over 40 years. It's enough already. If the internet is your source of information, then you must believe that EVERYTHING you read on the internet is the truth. Here's the truth ( and it's verifiable) , it's not all true. :eek: Anybody with internet access can put anything they want on the internet without it being true. Sad, I know, but true. For example, if you look all over the internet sites about Bettas, you'll see people saying they MUST have water volumes of 2 gal, 3 gal, 5 gal, & even 10 gal minimums. This is all hogwash (I'm old, I can use that term LOL:D) as there is no rule or scientific data on Betta keeping that says these amounts are a MUST. There is, however, centuries of actual Betta keeping that disputes all these claims of water volume minimums and necessary use of a square or rectangular shaped water holding container (a.k.a. Tank). So who do you believe, somebody with internet access and a keyboard or somebody who is actually doing what you are saying is not good for the fish and having continual success for multiple years with multiple fish? Experience is a better leader to follow. (in most people's opinions)

Lastly, here's something else to consider: You say a tank is easier to maintain than a bowl. If you have gravel in your tank, food , detritus other junk can hide within the gravel bed thus polluting the water. If you keep the gravel clean and you are using a cycled aquarium, you are messing with the bacteria bed, which is not a good thing. If you keep a bowl with no gravel or even with gravel and you are changing the water every other day, you are not effecting the bacteria bed as there is no bed to effect. You are supplying the fish with fresh clean water before any of his waste material has begun to break down. (If you don't believe me, put a Betta in a bowl, use the same size bowl that you would a tank, and do an ammonia test on day 2. ) I'd be willing to confidently say that my Betta bowl water is cleaner than your tank water. As for easier, my Betta water changes take just a couple of minutes. I have a jug of water set up right next to the bowls so the water is the same temp as the bowls. Fish in a cup, bowl under the faucet, faucet water drained, new water poured in, fish goes back in. That whole process takes me less than a minute to do. My fish have never been sick or parasitized using this method. Still think a tank is easier to maintain or the best thing for the fish? :whistle:

As I said, I'm not looking to argue. I'm trying to enlighten those wanting to keep fish. There are many ways of keeping fish healthy and happy. In the case of Bettas, I know it can be done in bowls just as well as tanks. This is fact based not opinion based. Can every fish be kept in a bowl? ABSOLUTELY not, but Bettas can. Is it easier in a bowl over a tank? Maybe. I do know it's more work in a bowl. And that's just it, I only ask that people explain what is necessary to do when keeping the fish in a bowl vs a tank instead of saying "IT MUST GO IN A TANK."
So I hope I have educated you a bit on the subject. The art of fish keeping is centuries old. If you do some research on this art, you'll find a lot of what of what you read on the internet, especially on forums such as this one, is not all correct. It's just somebody's opinion. Learn about the fish so you don't need other people's opinions. :brows: (y)

You seem like an experienced aquarist, and I respect your opinion. I do believe that about 70% of the information on the Internet pertaining to fish is true. I use Liveaquaria and animal world as my main websites of info. I've been keeping fish for over 10 years. I've kept African Cichlids, Dwarf South American Cichlids, various types of Asian fish, and many Tetras. I believe that Tetras must have 5 or more in a group. I believe that Eheim filters are the absolute best filters out there. Etc... Hopefully I haven't gotten this thread off topic, but I think bettaowner's problem has been solved.

I'm glad you helped out a few bettas today! I think the cheapest way to go would be a divided tank! at least 5gs but a 10g would be great!

Back
Top Bottom