help needed for the technically challenged....(me)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it not possible to "add to" existing files on a DVD if you have the space?

I have tried several burning programs and when I go to add data to it, it says the disk is not blank. I know I can add data to my CD's "as needed".
Is it just not possible with DVD's?

It may not be a re-writable DVD (DVD-RW is ReWriteable DVD-R is not for example)

so even though I am not trying to "overwrite" anything, just use up existing empty space, it would have to be a RW?

I thought it could be a non-closed DVD R and it would still be able to? Well, I haven't ever burned a DVD though, only many CDs.

DVD's are kind of finicky. I know with non closed CD-R media you can add more to it but DVD media seems so picky. For example on CD-R, CD-RW you can purchase one speed rated disk and burn at a speed higher. But with DVD's you cant burn any faster than the media is rated. Its like the burn speed is encoded on the disk to lock it or something.

ok, thanks all for your help. Guess I need to rethink what I was trying to do now.

fishfreek said:
DVD's are kind of finicky. I know with non closed CD-R media you can add more to it but DVD media seems so picky. For example on CD-R, CD-RW you can purchase one speed rated disk and burn at a speed higher. But with DVD's you cant burn any faster than the media is rated. Its like the burn speed is encoded on the disk to lock it or something.

Helpful hint, if its something want to save for an archive, Don't burn fast.

Faster burning makes the disks more likely to die sooner. Even on high quality media.

If your burning for archive, burn as slow as you can. Even at 2.4x a DVD can be burned in less then 25-30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom