Help needed (guppy problem)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyQ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Water / filter cleaning yesterday.
This morning, 1 of 2 guppies died. Ok, so my son was quite upset and we got another 2. After some time getting used to temperature i let them out and they seemed quite happy.
Next i know some 10 hours later, 1 of the new guys died and now both remaining more or less stopped swimming.

Alarmed i took them out of water and put them with some plant into a small pan with fresh water treated with aquasafe. They're still not moving much, but it seems to be a little bit better.

But, what now? Need advice. Never had fish before 2 months ago (son's birthday)

Also, what size tank is this? Any other fish in the tank? Do you have a test kit? You will also get more replies if you post this question in the freshwater unhealthy fish section.

Very small tank ( 10"x10"x10")
Only 2 guppies in it

And i have no testkit (went to 2 shops today, no luck)

No, cycled as in adding an ammonia source to let ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate go through a cycle so it is ready for fish. Or did you just dechlorinate the water and add fish?

Gboy66 said:
No, cycled as in adding an ammonia source to let ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate go through a cycle so it is ready for fish. Or did you just dechlorinate the water and add fish?

Added hornwart i got from a friend to the water and waited for a week until i added the guppies

Hi and welcome to AA! The link above will help alot. The first thing you will need to do is large PWC (partial water change) 75% to the tank using fresh dechlorinated water. Your tank is going through a cycle or mini cycle. If you can't get a test kit you can take a water sample into a LFS (local fish store) it get it tested. Make sure they use a liquid test kit not strips. Strips are inaccurate. If you are able to buy one yourself (which is recommended) the API freshwater liquid master test kit is the one to get. Value for money are fairly accurate.

fishdude25 said:
Cycled means having a beneficial bacterial colony to convert toxic fish waste (ammonia) into nitrIte (still toxic), then another bacterial colonly turns nitrIte into nitrAte.(not nearly as toxic) When you throw away and replace your filter media, you also throw away the beneficial bacteria. Here is a link that will explain cycling more in-depth: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Thanks. Should've known this earlier.

Well, it seems like the problem has been identified. A lot of the people on here have had successful in fish cycles, it just takes a lot more work. If you have anymore questions about the cycle, we are all here to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom