Help! Pico or a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure this is in the right place but I figured it was a "fluff" thread so here it is. lol

I now have my 10g fry tank available. I wanted to make it a planted tank with some glo fish maybe. BUT i totally fell in love with a Fluval 2g Pico tank.
I'd like to concentrate my efforts for now and just pick one.

I have been planning the planted for a couple months but I'm really unsure if I can keep a planted tank alive, I can't keep cactus' alive for petes sake. But I would really love to have some cool colored glo fish swimming around in a sea of green.

The pico would be a great place to house my candycane goby from my biocube and would allow me to get some sexy shrimp since I can't keep them in the cube cause it's way too big.

Both will cost about the same after all is said and done.

For reference I have 5 sw tanks and 3 fw tanks. I only keep cichlids so the idea of "happy" fish is appealing. But so is the pico tank.

Heres the link on the pico
https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+18534+22661&pcatid=22661

What do you guys think? I'm totally torn.....

I'm thinking you'll end up doing both in the end ;)

I'm having a similar issue with my empty 10g. Planted? QT? Breeding? Betta?

I'm still so unsure. lol I have the 10g here and I'm so bored. I feel like painting the back and maybe going with the 10g

Make up your mind quickly so you can start your cycling process, that whole process makes me so impatient!

I have a perfectly cycled filter currently in another 10g. :-D So no cycle for me. I just took the fish out yesterday.

This hobby will teach patience for sure! Something I do not have much of!

Carey, do you have live plants in other tanks? If not, I'd love to see you add them to your repertoire!

I vote pico! I just started my first nano reef, I got a 6gallon fluval edge.

Live plants are the only thing I don't have. I'm petrified to start it thoguh LOL. I'm more scared of doing this 10g than I am the 125g reef. I feel so much more secure with sw but I would love to have a happy fw fish tank.

If I got the special plant soil/substrate today when could I plant? I'm that bored. BUT I also wanted to paint the tank black and use black substrate. That's my plan anyways

If I go with the pico I have to wait for it to arrive and catch the goby out of my 29g which will be some serious work, he's soooo tiny

I vote pico! I just started my first nano reef, I got a 6gallon fluval edge.

Is that your build thread? lol I was thinking it wouldnt help me since its like 3 times the size of the one I wanted to go with. Maybe I'll pop over and check it out!

I'm clueless on when you could plant as I haven't started looking in to it in depth just yet. I think that is the route I'm going to go though. Maybe ill let you get started and then just follow in your footsteps!

I'm pretty positive you can put the plants in as soon as you've put the substrate in, although the substrate will probably cloud your water for a day or two.

Hmmm forgot about the clouding. I was gonna go with a flourite(?) type substrate. I think it's pretty gravel like so maybe I won't have too much cloudiness.

If you haven't guessd I am now leaning towards the planted. Just emptied the 10g and dumped the gravel. So it's a complete blank slate. :-D

lol I think my sw needs are currently being met. I may get the pico when I do the 125g/55g switch since I am gonna break down the cube to get some of thelr in there into the 125g. Then I can catch the candycane. It would be impossible to do now.

Suit yourself, in the back of your head, just remember the pico that could have been.

I can't keep cacti alive either, and my java fern has turned into three seperate plants. It's thriving. I guess land plants just aren't for me. I say go with a planted tank.

And you can put plants in as soon as you have it ready with gravel, lights, etc. And yes, they can be in during the cycle. I believe that's called a silent cycle. I think. lol

Whatever you choose, it's one of Carey's tanks, so it will be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom