HELP!! Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Iwas moving my squeaker catfish and due to reasons I don't feel like explaining :lol: I came into contact with a little pokey thing on both side of there body and it broke skin on my thumb I didn't care!.... But my mom.... " you know I saw a show where this happened and the boy lost his fingers, one of his legs, and then his arm...."(stupid tv -_-') so anywAys are they toxic?!?!?! My mom is pretty worried....

Well,

There are certain catfish are poisonous but I don't think the squeaker Catfish is one of them. I would call Poison Control in your area if you are that worried. They should have a list.

I could not find anything on the net about them being poisonous but if you are short of breath or not feeling right go to the emergency room just in case. You never know it might not be poisonous but you could get an infection do to the bacteria(s) in the tank . I'm not a doctor but I have some training for my Football Coaching position and the 1st rule is when in doubt , go to the hospital. Better to look stupid at the hospital with nothing wrong then not......

The Squeakers, Lace or Upside Down Catfishes, Family Mochokidae

Re Handling:
Be careful are the watchwords here. These fishes have stout, make that strong and sharp leading dorsal and pectoral fin spines that, though not associated with toxin, are notably painful to be stuck by. If you must net them, use large tools, and a towel between you, the net and them.

Not poisonous, you'll be ok, but keep an eye on it.

Pton46 said:
The Squeakers, Lace or Upside Down Catfishes, Family Mochokidae

Re Handling:
Be careful are the watchwords here. These fishes have stout, make that strong and sharp leading dorsal and pectoral fin spines that, though not associated with toxin, are notably painful to be stuck by. If you must net them, use large tools, and a towel between you, the net and them.

Not poisonous, you'll be ok, but keep an eye on it.

Thanks!!! I peroxided it like four times

Moved to Aquaria Off Topic.

It sounds like what your mom is worried about is not getting stuck by that catfish in and of itself, but something like this:
Flesh-Eating Fish Tank Bacteria May Lead to Teen's Amputation - ABC News

While this is a terrible possible outcome to the infection, the good news is that such infections (and complications such as this) are exceedingly rare... much more so than the sensationalizing mainstream media would have you believe.

Wash your hands after tank maintenance, and wear tall rubber gloves during maintenance if you have broken skin on your hands. Problem solved. ;)

Last edited:
Some corys are poiosonous.

I got posionen once and my finger went numb for 1 hour.

All was fine though and i am still living now :D

Fishy Aston said:
Some corys are poiosonous.

I got posionen once and my finger went numb for 1 hour.

All was fine though and i am still living now :D

Sorry pet peeve. Teaching moment !

"Poison is absorbed or ingested; a poisonous animal can only deliver toxic chemicals if another animal touches or eats it.

Venom, on the other hand, is always injected. Every venomous animal has a mechanism to inject toxins directly into another animal. Stab with tails. Slash with spines. Pierce with fangs. Spike with spurs. Shoot with harpoons. Chew with teeth.

For example, frogs are usually poisonous while snakes are usually venomous."

Cories and other Catfish can be mildly venemous. Reactions can vary. Here is an interesting thread on this subject:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30393

So unless you ate your catfish you were not poisoned ;)
You were stung and reacted to the venom.
No one has died from a Cory sting. But it can hurt.

Back
Top Bottom