Help!! something stuck/growing out of my rainbows mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help my rainbow was doing great when i checked last night but now i woke up to him with this redish stick looking thing in his mouth and now he isnt moving very much and his mouth is stuck open.

Please help i dont know what to do.

Here is a picture of him

Attachments

• 20170910_093000.jpg
    20170910_093000.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 111
I have never seen anything quite like that before. I'm pretty sure it's not a parasite or disease. I think the best course of action would be to break the cotton end off of a Q tip, net the fish out and try to gently pry the object out of his mouth.
I have had big cichlids kill tankmates and get a dead fish temporarily stuck in their mouths, but they have always been Able to dislodge the body before it got to the point I needed to intervene. Keep the updates coming.

I had a big gudgeon try and eat a Oto and was skewered in the mouth.
Believe I used a needle nose pliers. Soft clothlike damp (with tank water) paper towel.

You might be able to use a sanitized tweezer, I'd use alcohol to sanitize let dry and rinse with tank water.

Make sure your tank water parameters are excellent for fastest healing.

Thanks guys for the advice. Ill defiently take the advice for next time. My LFS recommend to just monitor and see if he digests the debrie before taking any other action that could do more harm than good. Now he seems to of digested it and is acting normal with his mouth closed compared to before. Im going to continue to monitor him but thanks so much for the help.

Back
Top Bottom