Help! Stage fright!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so today in science before class, (I got there first) my teacher told me we were going to be learning about the nitrogen cycle tomorrow. I got all excited cause well, I knew it'd be an easy A. I told her about the fish tank I had, and she told me that she would have me share it in class tomorrow! I'm a bit shy, and don't want to make a fool of myself, but I really want to do this to keep more people from killing their fish. I also have no flipping clue what to say! I thought about printing out that fishless cycling for dummies sticky, but I don't want to sound like a teachers pet! HELP!

I used to be really shy as well. The only advice I can give you is to stop worrying about what anyone else thinks. If they are judging you because you know about the nitrogen cycle :roll:, you shouldn't care at all what they think anyway, because obviously you're above that. Plus, who cares what they think. It doesn't matter now and won't matter in the future.
Remember: People who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ;)

Just present the facts. Who cares if they think you're a nerd or teachers pet? I remember my high school days. I was all concerned about trying to be popular and cool. Looking back, I wish I had been more focused on learning, and potentially sharing knowledge, than trying to be what other people wanted me to be. Do some research. Explain how the bacteria work. You may be surprised at how people feel about your knowledge. Look up pronounciations so that you are prepared. Go above and beyond. You'll get an A and maybe somebody will be interested in your help setting up their own tank.

EDIT: Jenatron has a point... though I prefer "It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter"

Just say what you thinks right, if your only 12 or 13 and a bit nervous just think how you will be if someone else in your class was doing it. I always remembered being nervous to do stuff like that at school but when you think back the rest of your class dont really pay any attention anyway(although it sounds bad its true)

I used to do presentation workshops and I'll give you a few pointers that will hopefully help.

1. Practice what you want to say tonight, first in front of a mirror, then your family. Doesn't have to be word for word, jus a general outline. Things/info/thoughts change, so be flexable with it.

2. When presenting, remember to breathe. Sounds dumb but you'd be surprised.

3. Make eye contact with different people in the room so you're presenting to the whole class, not just 1 person, or your shoes. So head up :).

4. Pace yourself, don't rush, don't drag, oh and remember to breathe :)

Lastly, have fun with it. It's something you enjoy, show it in your presentation.

On a side note, picture everyone with clown noses on. They'll look silly and you won't feel that way :).

PS Breathe.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Lol, I'll just kind of almost joke about it. I've noticed the class clown does it, and what the class doesn't know is they actually learn something while the rofl. Besides, the teacher is already a bit to close for my comfort zone, so I don't think it'll be too much of a bad thing to nudge her away a bit. Now I've just gotta figure out how to explain it in a way that won't make their 13 year old eyes cross! Even the fishless cycling for dummies thing might be over doing it!

Tell them YOUR story. Let them hear about your experience with the nitrogen cycle and your fish tanks. One, it's something that's a part of you and that should make the presentation easier for you to share. Two, your classmates will be better able to relate to you and the subject if you present it from a personal point of view. Three, a good story always make it easier to understand any underlying principle trying to be shared.

Hope all goes well and remember: Enjoy yourself!!!

Back
Top Bottom