help with computer :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Uhg... anyone know what is wrong with my computer? Here is a picture of the screen of death....

img_500503_0_2e99e26bfe38a88bcefb4166d9135e4a.jpg

I just looooove that last line :?

PS-I had to leave right after this happened so I just turned off my computer and I won't be back to it until Sunday...

smack it on the side and scream at it saying, "If you don't cut out the crap I am turning you into a beer can". works for me :mrgreen:

Ahhh, the BSOD. Restart your computer and run a virus scan to see if it picks anything up. Make sure to update your anti-virus program first though.

After that download and run Spybot Search http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2471 and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506

If Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy pick up a lot of files, boot into safe mode (tap F2 or DEL as your booting up then select "Boot into safe mode" or something similar) and run Ad-Aware SE Personal again.

If this keeps up, the BSOD, you can always reformat :D which isn't too hard but is kind of a pain because you have to back everything up and you might lose some data.
HTH.

im dont totally remember when that happened to me, but i think mine was because my windows xp files were corrupt.

Hmm... I already have the Adaware SE Personal as well as a few other programs to protect my computer. This is because I lived on a college campus and with the way the network is set up, you *need* to be over protected. I will double check to make sure everything is updated. I may have let my guard down when I moved off campus.

The other thing is that one of my fans aren't working. Do you think this could be a part of the problem?

The other thing is that one of my fans aren't working. Do you think this could be a part of the problem?

Possibly, might be an overheating problem, which fan is not working, the one on the CPU (vey bad if quit), the power supply (will cause premature failure of the power supplybut not much else), or do you have more fans on the front and/or back of the case? if those quit it mainly depend on where they are.

I am not a windoze expert (my specialty is on more robust O/S), but try booting in safe mode, and if you can, try to run diskcheck. As mentionned above, you could have one of the operating system file corrupted. If you do have a corrupted system file, you will have to boot from the CD and repair the O/S.

We do have one or two windoze experts around this site, so they may chime in when they see your message.

Good luck.

8O 8)

mmm looks like what happens to my lappy's tooo! the people at the smart computer place said that there wasnt anything that we could do to fix it. even the playe at sony said it couldn't be fixed.

i would say that your RAM might be the culprit in this case... how many sticks are you running if you're running 2, take one out... let me know any updates.

dralarms said:
I still say it's heat related. Which fan is not working?
Ah yes, fans.... Indeed, wich fan(s) is(are) not running??? Very important indeed to know this information. :?: :?:

8)

It's probably a heat issue...If the computer runs fine for an hour and then just locks up, and it doesn't seem like a software issue, it's probably a cooling problem. Furthermore, if a fan is broken, it will contribute more to the heat. My suggestion is to try getting that fan fixed or finding a replacement.

Another possibility is to add another fan if there's a spot for it in the case. In my system, I have the CPU fan, a fan on the video card, and 3 case fans, 1 in the in the front sucking air in, and 2 in the back, blowing air out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom