hermit crab substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazymom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday at my local petsmart the girl told me cob bedding was great for hermies. Of course I listened and bought it for the new 10 gal I bought them. Just wanted to double check that it is ok for them. It is so much different than the sand, it seems weird. The bag says it is for birds and small animals and NOT for reptiles. Doesn't say anything about crustaceans. Thanks again!! :D

I never had them but i heard they prefer sand so they can burrow in once in a while.

Aww i figured someone would reply to this, so I didn't

I wouldn't trust what anyone has to say at petsmart =o)

I know they prefer sand, but im not sure about cob bedding

You need to keep humidity up, and with that cob crap (I hate that stuff), it is just going to turn into a glutinous mess when it gets damp.....go with sand, coconut coir or a soil/peat mix.

If I use a soil/peat mix can I plant something in there? Something like an ivy? Or do you know of a better plant for them? I didn't know you could use soil with them or I would have done that to begin with. I have the cob in there right now but it just didn't seam right to me. It's too big and chunky. Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom