Hey Mods.. question about banning people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there a way on forums like this to ban an IP address?

Im apart of the South Beach Diet forum and there is this "troll" who keeps showing up.. and as much as they delete him.. he comes back with a different name.

It is the simple forum format... any ideas?

Okay.. I thought so. I don't know why they havn't banned it already.

Can only the site admin. do it, or can moderators/advisors do it?

If you have access to all the website files you could just stick a .htaccess file in there and ban his IP from that (Assuming everything is in one folder and you cant access anything else without going to that first).

If he knows how to get around .htaccess then you wont be able to do it that way, (If he can get around .htaccess I dont think you will get rid of him :) ) There might be some other way that I cant think of right now, but not knowing much about your fourm I really cant tell you.

You know his IP right? Dont want you to end up banning something you dont want banned if you dont know his true IP.

Well im not a site admin or a mod.. but this guy is just absurdly rude and I didn't know if the mods were aware you could block his IP

However, we are doing REALLY well at ignoring his posts.. and are making it a point to not reply and bump up other, more positive posts and it seems to be working. This guy has about 6 or 7 names.. and on a diet forum, you really don't want some creep on there.

Apparently the guy has a dynamic IP address and the mods have been banning his IP's... but he just keeps coming back *sigh*

you could give a death threat :twisted: ... but yeah... or send him like a small controlled virus type thing that'll make him not able to go to the site.. lol there arent any small viruses, plus its illegal...

has anybody asked why hes like that?

I love Dynamics as well, lol. I can change my IP anytime I want, pretty nifty sometimes.

You COULD send him a small controlled virus, I dunno what you would have it do unless you have it hold his files for hostage (I belive there was something on the news about this).

if you have an administrative program u can get his ip and delete a ton of crap, but ull get in trouble

krap101 said:
has anybody asked why hes like that?
I personally think he is over compensating for something.

Anyone that tries to say "You know, I don't agree with you" he will say "well coming from someone who is fat.. blah blah blah"

this guy is a real loser

All the mods can do is delete his posts and soon as they seen them. He PMed one mod.. and she is trying to get him to chill out

But everyone has learned not to feed the trolls.

I'm going to ask that the suggestions of "death threats" or "send him a virus" cease right now. Keep the suggestions serious and more importantly legal or I think we may need to lock this thread.

Thank you.

lyquidphyre said:
But everyone has learned not to feed the trolls.

The majority of the time, this is all it takes. That and a little time.

As long as he's getting a response, he knows he's getting to someone's nerves and he'll keep coming. The sooner you get everyone to simply recognize thats who's post it is, and simply not even read it, just skip over it, the sooner he'll get bored and move on. It's a 3rd grade bulley mentality. As soon as they don't get the response they want, it's not fun to them any more.

I believe I have read somewhere that the deliberate launching of a computer virus in any form is now considered a felony act.......

Can this guy be put on a moderated status? Then all posts have to be approved by an admin.

I think you can complain to this guy's ISP because all ISPs have rules about how to use their service. If his posts can be considered spam or other nasty behavior, the ISP might be able to pull the plug.

HTH.
coolchinchilla

He is actually doing a lot better.. but if he starts up again with his bad attitude, I will pass along what you said, coolchinchilla, to the mods.

thanks =o)

Generally, ISPs won't get involved unless a law is being broken or someone is being continually, and seriously, threatened with physical harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom