Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

hints,tips or fix for smell in house?

Wife and eldest left for the weekend for a college tour, I figured Id take that time and tackle getting a cannister filter I havent touched in 2 years out from being wedged where it was and give it a good cleaning. I knew it was going to be a pita, however I did not anticiapte the stench.
Now that its all cleaned out and back up and running, ive been trying everything to get the smell out of the house. Febreeze isnt working, and unfortunalty im allergic to bleach, so I cant use that. I have till about 11 am or noonish to clear this smell out,
My 17 year old keeps razzing me about how my wife is gonna kill me. So any help would be appreciated, Also Im in Maine, I did open the windows a bit but its still rather cold here. Ive also tried pinesol soap on the floors and countertops which seems to work but only for about 10 minutes. Ive never left a filter sit that long so never ran into this problem,, again, any hints or stuff I have to get at the store tonight would be appreciated. Unless (hoping) it dissapates by the time she gets home.
Thanks

Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Try vinegar on surfaces that are able to be wiped down and baking soda sprinkled on carpet (not wet carpet or it will leave a white mark). Leave for 15 minutes then vacuum up. Vinegar neutralizes odor and the baking soda (aka bicarb soda) absorbs it.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

excellent, going to do it now. thank you alot. cant tell you enough how much I appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

No problem. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could also try getting some oranges and cutting them in quarters. This can be used along with the vinegar and b.soda. Just cut them up and leave them lying around rooms in your house. They are great for removing the odor if you've done a bit of painting, so it might work for this also. Cheap, safe and will leave a nice fragerance.....
Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did the vinegar, wasnt sure what kind to use as we have apple cider, balsamic and white distilled in the house. faith my daughter looked it up , used the distilled. House is smelling way better, while she was looking it up she also said we should place bowls of it around the house, so i sent her to the supermarket and waiting on her return. The only rug was in my office, and in a panic I cut all the wet areas and threw it into the back of my truck before i asked here. The rest of the floors in the house were all wood. And mopping,scrubbing, spraying wasnt working, thank you again so very much mumma.of.two, you saved my hide. Im gonna say I fed the dog a treat that didnt agree with her, not sure what yet, and had to cut out the rug. Paid off my daughter, house is smelling better, dog will get more attention for no reason at all tomorrow, and all will be well in my little world, thank you again sooo very very much. ( going to wash everything again few hours before she comes home to be sure) maybe again tonight too..
Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Oh yes the white is the one to use. I should have mentioned that! You can add a cup of vinegar to the fabric softener input of your washing machine instead of fabric softener. It will help remove smells from any towels and cloths you've used to clean up. I'm glad it's all sorted!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Wow, a smell febreeze won't fix, that's bad! I'm happy to hear you got it all sorted out. If I had found this thread before you got it all fixed I would have recommended the same. Baking soda saved my house from some pretty wretched smells after my freezer defrosted after a week with no power in the Louisiana summer heat. Stuff dripped into the back of the fridge and rotted before I could get everything out. A pan of baking soda and coffee grounds finally got the smell out of the freezer. Good tip on the oranges, too. Coffee works as well, the grounds absorb odors and put off that delicious coffee smell. I can only hope you paid your daughter off well enough, though...
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Not to rain on your parade, but to better cover your tracks ... Ensure your wife doesn't somehow stumble across this thread. I'm assuming she's not a member?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Gooood point! No use hiding the smell if she sees the post! Also, good plan on repeating the cleaning. And you may want to try the coffee trick, too. Just put a shallow dish of coffee and baking soda where the smell is strongest. And make her some coffee to explain the smell of coffee when she gets home! Maybe bake some cookies, too. The smell fills the house and cookies make everything better.

Tags
smell, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com