hiring people for a job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
so, if you are looking to hire a new employee, would it bother you if they had taken a year off after college? Would you throw out that applicant's resume and move on to someone else?

Depends on what they were doing, therefore I think I'd still consider the resume. Is there other documentation to consider, such as a portfolio?

no portfolio in this case, but in related fields there would be. Think of this as an Account Executive/ Sales position. And the year off would be spent either travelling or working in a non-related field.

Well, I have to say I'd be biased, as I 'took time off', but before school, working in all sorts of fields. :D It always bothered me (before I had my degree) that I couldn't even get an interview because nothing by my work experience was being considered, even though I was a more than qualified applicant.

With my bias in mind, I wouldn't hold that against them.

I wouldn't toss it aside, that is counter-productive. You didn't mention if there was an interview involved so I have to assume that no feedback was forthcoming?

Well, there would be an interview, but I was wondering if someone with that "missing year" would even get as far as an interview.

In that case, I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest hurdle has been overcome. Now it's time to dazzle em' with the person that is described in the resume. A lot of job offers are reconsidered during the interview phase when the candidate describes someone else.

*Remember the Radio Station interview?

:) Thanks JC. Yeh I remember the radio station interview very well. I was sooooo nervous. But that was infront of a University's Media Board and not for a "real world job." My Dad (who I've only been able to see twice a year) wants me to travel with him and I would really like that. He is from Spain, lives in Spain now, and says people in Europe do it all the time. Well, this isn't Europe and I've been under the impression that things were different. But I never really asked people who are involved in the hiring process. So I guess that is what I'm doing now. :)

I think if the year was taken off to travel and see the world many employers wouldn't view it as a negative. However if the year was taken off to stay home with a newborn or be a stay at home mom for awhile.......that's a whole other sad story.

For me when I am hiring people I take into consideration the applicant's qualifications, not if they have taken time off from their schooling. Of course I am in the trades industry so this might be a factor.

We live in a global economy, so any firsthand experience with other countries and cultures should be viewed as a positive thing in the business world.

In the world of higher education, admissions committees actually LIKE to see things such as global travel on a prospective student's application. It suggests that the applicant is a bit more mature and has been exposed to different points of view. In the business world, wouldn't these qualities make him/her a better decision-maker.

If you can swing it financially (no pressing loan repayments), I say go for it!

ooooh you mean if you travelled.
do it, our company also looks for people with as much global experience as possible seeing as there a projects all around the world.
even if you went into a different field for a while, at least they can see your a keen worker.
Matthew :)

Absolutely travel - work can wait. :)

I was blessed with the chance to visit Egypt a few years ago and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything! I can't wait until we have another chance to travel abroad: there's nothing like it! :D

I took a full year off after college. I busted my tail all the way through and decided I wanted to see the world. It was the most educational experience of my life. I think it all depends if the decision was made to better themselves. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, who really cares that someone took the first year out of school off. The fact is- they may never have a chance to do that again until retirement. I've hired a number of employees that have done similar, and I do not see it as a strike against their credentials. Ask them what they did for that year, and what they learned. THAT will be your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom