Holy Cow!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey did anyone else hear/read about the Petco in Newark that exploded today?
Apparantly a construction company hit a gas line and the building had its roof collapse because of an explosion!

Supposedly over 200 animals and fish and 4 people were trapped inside.
Here is the link.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7089871/

Hopefully, they can save some of the animals and fish.[/url]

OMG that is awful. I hope not many of the animals where hurt. REgretfully I have to guess the fish where a total loss if the buliding loss power. Im sure they cut power to the building at this point.

fishfreek said:
I have to guess the fish where a total loss if the buliding loss power. Im sure they cut power to the building at this point.

Power or not, I doubt many, if any, tanks survived that intact.

I heard on the radio that no one was hurt but they were trying to resuce as many of the animals as possible.

This is just awful news. Here's a quote from the Asbury Park Press ( a local paper in nj)

The condition of animals in the store … including hundreds of birds, fish, lizards, guinea pigs and hamsters … remains unknown.

Eight SPCA workers were at the scene to assist the animals if needed, said Ursula Goetz, executive director of the Monmouth County SPCA, which is based a few blocks away.

She said several veterinarians and animal hospitals had volunteered space to assist wounded animals.

You can read the full article here (which I found to be more informative than msnbc's article): http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050304/NEWS/50304007/1002/SPORTS

I am so upset by this, I can't even express it in words. Supposedly the gas line they hit was unmarked, so until it's proved otherwise, I can't blame the contractor. I work in nj, and recently moved to pa, so this story is close to my heart, as I have been in the store.

that is so sad...it happened in my neck of the woods, i live about 20 mins from eatontown and was actually only about 5 minutes away from that store when this happened...i was at lfs nearby picking up some live stock...wow...imagine if i had gone there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom