Home Depot bucket and boiling water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone so I'm trying to boil some rocks I got down at the creek for my aquarium. I've read that when boiled rocks can explode and I don't want that. So I took to one of my trust homedepot buckets. I boiled my 3 pots if water and pours them into the buckets. I then realized oh no what if the plastic releases toxic gas or something ?

Is this safe or did I make a dumb mistake?

I think most plastic only releases a toxic gas if it is burned, the best way I have found is to soak the rock in normal water, then completely dry it out. I did this a few times, and although it took a couple of days, it had no effect on the tank, apart from it looked good. If you are concerned though its maybe better to be safe rather than sorry with anything you are going to put in your tank

I think most plastic only releases a toxic gas if it is burned, the best way I have found is to soak the rock in normal water, then completely dry it out. I did this a few times, and although it took a couple of days, it had no effect on the tank, apart from it looked good. If you are concerned though its maybe better to be safe rather than sorry with anything you are going to put in your tank

Ya I mean I already did it and I assume if it was a gas vapor it would have gone airborn passed the rocks and just be affecting my health but idk how it works

Back
Top Bottom