Honest advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fish_doc

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife and I have been working on updating my website. Let me know what you think. Good / Bad.

There are some areas with nothing in them. They are areas that did not exist on the old site. We hope to get info into them asap. Any ideas or things that you would do different. Any areas that are hard to navigate. All information will be appreciated.

A World of Fish

I will be sure to let my wife hear anything good that is said. She has done the layout, graphics and coding. I just supplied the content. :oops:

Thanks in advance.

Beautiful layout, easy access to the navs, and pages, overall great design!! I love it! Did you use a program to create it or do you know html? :wink:

Seems pretty cool, nice work... The only suggestion I'd have is, where's the link back here? Well it's a thought anyway... The only negative thing I could say has nothing to do with either of you or the site... it's that darn link exchange stuff... I am soooo sick of seeing dating ads everywhere... I mean everywhere... it isn't there everytime but there's a different link everytime... the good thing is that the links are at the bottom, where they belong...

Did you use a program to create it or do you know html?
We or should I say she uses Dreamwever. But still does alot of the coding manually. She has a graphics design degree and is currently out of work so she had some extra time on her hands. Something else to add to her resume.

where's the link back here?
Its on the forum link page
forum link
I cant ignore this place. :D

it's that darn link exchange stuff
the link exchange is suppose to be in a pets only area. Where pet ads are the only thing allowed. BUT the way this world operates people sign up their sites anywhere just to ruin it for everyone else. I have considered getting rid of the ad or putting it into a invisible format so I can still use the information it provides me on hits and time of day traffic.

My site is now on a pay server so I have the benefit of getting rid of all adds if needed. But they do supply a small percent of the cost of running the site. Unlike the free servers who let you know where the ads go, we have total control we can place the ads at the bottom of the page as you said. In addition we can keep pop up windows from annoying people by not having any. In the future I may minimise the ads or move them to a "support this site" area if they annoy me to much. Kind of a catch 22, the Ads are why I moved to a paid server in the first place. :?

Thanks you 3 and keep em comming.

It may be because I am using a mac, but I had some trouble loading the website, but once it did it looks great.
Sidenote: there is some extra-text saying "undefined" on the top left corner.

there is some extra-text saying "undefined" on the top left corner
were you able to see the logo? that is what is in the corner.
logo.gif

I cant say we tried it on a mac.
I know we tried it with explorer, mozilla, and netscape. but all on pentium and celeron based systems.

The only thing critical I have to say is the banner isn't stitched properly, on my screen resolution. It cuts through the clownfish and the strpes don't match up in two places. Otherwise the site is great.

I'm running @1280x960 and the banner is fine.

1024x768 should be ok with out a horizonal scroll.

Course im at 1280X1024 but when i resize it down I think I can get down to 1024x768 with out much issue.

I really like the layout and design. Top notch IMO.

It's not a scroll issue, perhaps it needs to be???

There are two graphics for the banner and at 1024X768 they don't match up.

My screen is set to 1024x768 and they all line up fine. It may be a browser issue. What browser are you using and what version? The more information I get the better we can troubleshoot at this end.

The banner is set with a additional side area that shouldn't show up when resolutions are set to lower settings. But there is never any text set in that area. Only the backround graphic. It is done that way so those running the higher settings wont be looking at a blank page. Kind of like tunnel vision vs. peripheral vision. You can see the extra but it is not necessary.

Let me try a few settings in different browsers and see if I come up with the same issue.

Thanks

Its somthing in Opera, I loaded it and now see what you were talking about. Gives me somthing to dig into now and try and figure out. Some of the css files also dont show up in Opera.

Yeah, it's the way it reads the site...as I said..it's a stickler for code, and doesn't do javascript worth a darn, but it's fast and works with most sites.

I think my wife figured out the code difference and got it fixed in Opera. Its great having my own codewriter. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom