Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Horror story!!

So tonight about 2 hours ago I was sitting in a chair next to my 55gal. and I was reading a super engrossing book. I heard some splashing and nonchalantly looked over at the tank, my red tail shark was digging in the gravel, so I thought "oh he must have had one of his *omg I'm so excited so let's spaz out and splash* moments, and went back to my book. I turned the page and since I had the radio on in the back room, I didn't hear the small splash, but I swear I noticed something sailing past my head. I looked around, and didn't se anything, so I assumed it was a stray piece of hair from my messy ponytail. I went to help my mom make dinner for about 2 hours, and came back to watch some tv afterwards. I strolled into the living room barefoot. I felt a *squish* under my foot and jumped backwards. There was my 4 inch red-tailed shark, half dried out, half gutted by my weight. It must have jumped out of the smallest of spots in the tank and flipped across the floor!! What a terrible way to discover your pet!
Anyone else have any horror stories about fish experiences? Heater fish fry, children deciding to clean the fish tank with detergent (umm, not like that's happened to me hhhummumm), leaks, tanks bursting, kamikaze fish like my poor sharkie??

God is light, in him there is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5
Emi929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a story. When my grandson was about three his dad took him fishing. After spending the day they arrived home and while my daughter freshened up my grandson decided he would practice fishing. You guessed it. When we came into the livingroom there on my sofa washbasin lineup of about three of my fish from my tank. An angel fish and two goldfish. I was able to throw them back in the tank. The goldfish made the Angelfish died. Webdont fish in granny's livingroom anymore. Hahaha! Oh and we've. Done the bubbles in the tank before, too.

turtle granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Well i have a 30 gal after 3 times re sealing it i think it has finally finsihed but i had to move the gravel rocks and plants 3 times!
If you ever need help just message me
Have you given Any Thanks lately? If not, do so!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When my cousin was little he used to take his goldfish out of the tank to give it some love everyday his mum couldn't work out why his fish kept dying until she saw him one day sitting on the floor with the fish in one hand gently stroking it with his finger. She had to explain that it's not like a dog, you can't pat it
madrhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I guess my biggest horror was when my guppy tried to kill himself. He forced himself into the gravel (it was sharp like live rock, too). It was late, so I decided I'd wait until the next day to get him out (I assumed he was dead), because I figured I'd have to take some water and rocks out. So the next morning I get out the net, to see if I could just push the rocks aside and net him out. (This probably sounds really weird, because it'd be easy if it were regular gravel. But it's this live rock type stuff for the Biorb that's used as substrate. It's not easy to move, they're rough and they get stuck.) So once I finally got the rock moved there goes my guppy, forces himself further down! And I thought he was dead! So I move some more rocks and I eventually get him out. He lived though, so happy ending!
jenatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
I have a canister filter in my tank, but one day I was trying to cycle or prepare a small HOB filter for a small QT tank, so I added the small HOB filter to my tank, after two days, the screen from the intake tube of the HOB filter felt, I did not notice it.

That night the HOB filter started to make a loud noise, and the water was not flowing, I kept pushing the pump up and down, and I could not figurate what was wrong, so I decided to remove and to take the filter apart in my sink, then is when I realized that one of my Siamese algae eater went through the pipe, due to the missing screen, and got trapped, and looks like that I crushed him, when I was pushing the pipes and pumps up and down !,
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry about your red tail shark...

don't really have a horror story...more like a natural occurrence.

long ago when my columbian sharks were smaller (around 8") I had a medium sized gourami in the same tank (around 4 1/2"). The sharks never bothered or payed any attention to the gourami, and they all seemed happy for a few years. until one day I came home and one my sharks had a huge, funny shaped stomach...and the gourami was no where to be found...RIP =T
i3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dont really have a horror story, just an ongoing nightmare. Im new to proper care of fish, and it all started after my betta developed swim bladder disorder. Now that thats over one of my goldies decided it was his turn (he died )once he died my ryukin decided to get Myxosporidiosis...something that I havent a clue how to fix, and the slightest problem with the water could end terribly ... now that Ive accepted that and am learning how to cope with it my betta decides hes been missing the attention he had from sbd and has now developed velvet. ... there seems to be no end and I even keep the water clean. agh
GoldfishNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a gourami that got himself wedged between a rock and the tank glass, who knows how long he was there, but he bunged himself up pretty bad trying to get out. He ended up passing from DGIV, not the injury though.

My mystery snail has escaped from her tank twice and gone on adventures. The first time she was only out for a few hours, and I had to follow a slime trail across the carpet to find her. The second time I didn't realize she was out for 15 hours (I was working 12 hour shifts) and I found her wedged between the wall and dresser. All holes are now covered up, and Destroyer is no worse for the wear! Thankfully she has a trap door to keep herself moist!

When I was packing my fish up to move, I caught one of my bettas (I use my hands, no nets) and as I was transferring him, he flopped out of my hand and onto the floor, about a 3 foot drop. He is fine and had no damage.

Lastly, I noticed that my BGK was getting too big for his "houses," so I decided to get a piece of PVC pipe and use silicone to put sand and beach glass all over it. Well, I didn't let it cure long enough before I put it in the tank! I noticed Elvis not doing too well, and he had blood streaks on his white stripes so I moved him to the 20 gallon. I drained the 75G, refilled and put him back in, and put one of my D. Gourami's in there as my "alert" fish. The DG did fine so I put Elvis back in, came home from work the next morning and he had passed away. I still miss that fish SOOO much!
dkpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
We had two guppies give birth one evening, so after spending two hours catching the fry to put them in a floating fry box I thought we'd got all of them. We always push the box into the side of the tank so suction holds it in place and stops it floating round the tank banging into things.
When I checked the tank the next morning, I could see an extra fry in the breeding box and thought that was strange. I noticed another four in the box and couldn't figure out how on earth they got there.
Then I realised that they were all pointing up, and weren't moving. They had all somehow wedged themselves between the wall of the box and the wall of the tank. They have all survives so far (2 weeks), but it really freaked me out!

Fishies86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com