How Can That Be ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treemanone2003

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have come to the conclusion through my 20 years experience, there are expert newbies everywhere. They seem to be popping out of the wood work more and more everyday. They can google more research in 3 months than anyone can "hands-on" learn in 20 years. They can have tanks cycled in under 10 days. Even as few as 6 days !!

They can sell you anything. They can spend your hard earned money in a few simple key strokes. They can tell you all about what the local LFS person told them. Oh that's always a fun one. Along with they can tell you all about chemicals to add. They can tell you how much they know. They can BOAST they never killed a fish.

That's exactly the problem !!!!

They can't tell you they killed a fish. They can't tell you what's going on with their tank just by smell. They can't tell you the temp of their tank just by touching it. They can't tell you the temp of refill water just by touch.

They can't tell you how long it takes for a 20' python hose to fill. They can't tell you they made a mistake. They can't tell you how to save money. They can't tell you they killed a fish. They can't tell you they ever "learned" anything.

They can tell you they are newbies. They can tell you they are experts.
They are Expert Newbies. But they don't have any experience. How can that be ?

Knowledge through failure.
Higher percentage of not failing with more preparation.
No dead fish you say...Even Sparta fell

I'm about to flush another dead fish in a day or two.. Neon tetra disease.. Google that... Pictures upon pictures of something different everytime.. 5 dead neons/cardinals.. No two died from the same thing..imagine that..I guess I'm learning! I'm an expert in killing neons now:D and rams.... Awwwww

It's easy to read facts out of a book or of the internet but it's totally different to use that knowledge. I read solidly for weeks about fish but as soon as I got a tank it was totally different. Learning the knowledge from applying the knowledge is much better.

I am newbie as well. Started the beginning of this year. I have just increased my live plant stock and I am quickly Learning that reading is good, but doesn't compare to experience.
I think some are leprechauns not experts-they have a lot of luck.

I have come to the conclusion through my 20 years experience, there are expert newbies everywhere. They seem to be popping out of the wood work more and more everyday. They can google more research in 3 months than anyone can "hands-on" learn in 20 years. They can have tanks cycled in under 10 days. Even as few as 6 days !!

They can sell you anything. They can spend your hard earned money in a few simple key strokes. They can tell you all about what the local LFS person told them. Oh that's always a fun one. Along with they can tell you all about chemicals to add. They can tell you how much they know. They can BOAST they never killed a fish.

That's exactly the problem !!!!

They can't tell you they killed a fish. They can't tell you what's going on with their tank just by smell. They can't tell you the temp of their tank just by touching it. They can't tell you the temp of refill water just by touch.

They can't tell you how long it takes for a 20' python hose to fill. They can't tell you they made a mistake. They can't tell you how to save money. They can't tell you they killed a fish. They can't tell you they ever "learned" anything.

They can tell you they are newbies. They can tell you they are experts.
They are Expert Newbies. But they don't have any experience. How can that be ?

I think this falls under the same principles as "Book Smart" vs "Street Smart."
The experienced, such as yourself, are the street smarts while the regurgitators
are the book smart wannabe's. As you pointed out, these regurgitators have no practical experience so they just don't really know. ( Can you be an expert car driver if you've only mastered the driving manual? :brows:) It's really a better learning experience by doing not by just reading ( but reading first is an important part of the process.) I am amazed at the lack of experienced people leading the lack of experienced people at places where expertise should be paramount. I've brought this up before in other threads but it's worth repeating (I believe) "it's very difficult to trust what you are being told today online as anyone with a keyboard can give advice. It may be a one time experience that is being relayed or just a regurgitation of bad info. One should find out what qualifies the person giving the advice to be giving advice. I've worked in the tropical fish business for over 40 years. I've worked at every level of it (Collecting the fish, importing and exporting the fish, wholesaling the fish, retailing the fish and breeding the fish.) I know a few things because I have done a few things ;).
So for all you newbies out there, let me tell ya a few things: You are doing NOTHING new today that we weren't doing over the past 40 years. You are just using new machinery to do it. THAT'S ALL! So when one of us tells you " Well we used to do "this" a certain way 10 years ago (or whatever), don't be so quick to dismiss it. (y) If it didn't work back then, the hobby today would be in a much different situation.

I relinquish my soapbox now to change the diaphram on my Hush 3 Pump (y)

Thanks for working out all those links the last 40 years.
Sincerely, Krogman

Back
Top Bottom