Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

how did you come about this hobby?

I've always wondered what made people start their fish hobby, please share!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

My grandfather had a whole basement filled with tanks. I was REALLY young when he had the fish room set up but I vividly remember watching him feed all the tanks. I always was a fisherman and what boy doesn't like water?

My older brother got a 10g tank when we were younger and never took care of it so it got nasty and smelled horrible. My parents made him take it down and we were never allowed another tank. I was too young to help with the maintenance so that was it...

The first apartment I got had a $100 prepaid visa offer when signing a lease. We went to Walmart and bought a 10g kit as soon as it came in the mail. After that it has been down hill... 10g, 30g tall, 30g long, 20 tall, now a 75g. Also have a 210g (7x2x2) in storage when I get time/money for my dream reef tank.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
My grandfather had a whole basement filled with tanks. I was REALLY young when he had the fish room set up but I vividly remember watching him feed all the tanks. I always was a fisherman and what boy doesn't like water?
Cool story!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought my first tank at a flea market which was a 20 gal, came with an undergravel filter, and a really Old over the top filter for 10 bucks. Thinking hey that's a good deal.

Little did I know none of It worked . I went out bought all new, Then found out the tank needed to be resealed, the hard way. I reasealed it. Then bought new gravel, fake plants driftwood and some mollies later on. My $10 tank cost me well over $200 since it came with No stand, filters ect.

6 years later I have a 90 gal tall, a 75 gal, a 45gal hex and the same 20 gal. I keep mostly Monster cichlids now.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok I'm new to this hobby, but about 4 months ago my mum suggested getting my 3year old son a goldfish. I dismissed it because quite frankly, I don't like goldfish. Then she dragged me to pets at home (uk pet store like petsmart) and I saw all the colourful nano fish and fell in love! A week later got a 19 litre fluval chi tank, enjoyed setting it up so much that a week after that got a 48 litre tank after seeing bigger Fish at another similar LFS and falling in love again. Basically I made every mistake under the sun with these two tanks thanks to taking the advice of the pets at home workers... The fish are still alive tho although I'll be rehoming them soon... To make room for my new 180 litre tank which came today i've been doing nothing but researching fish etc for the last month and i found a new LFS last week, which is run by aquarists for aquarists and they actually know what they're talking about, so this time, I'm going to do everything right!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

After we got married, my husband mentioned that he'd always wanted a fish tank. So, we began doing some research. I ended up getting my first tank locally, a free 30 gallon, before his first, a brand new 26 gallon, got delivered. Now I have 3 tanks, he has 1. But at least he's upgraded from that 26.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My parents had a tank back when I was really little and I always wanted one of my own once I was older. Finally I talked my grandma (lol) into buying me a fantail goldfish and a vase thing like they had for bettas. I really don't know how long I had him before I talked them into letting me buy a 5 gallon for him. Then at Christmas I convinced them that he needed a 20 gallon. And then a I got a 75, and a 28, and a 24, and so on and so forth.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Growing up, we had a 20 gallon( i thing that was the size) in the basement. Nobody took much care if it. Started with a few guppies, ended up with, not kidding here, at least 200. It was so overstocked and dirty. Also, we had a goldfish in a 1gallon bowl on the kitchen counter for about 5 years. It grew to about 8 inches in that tiny bowl. Than we got rid of both and went about 12 years with out a tank. Last year, I bought a leopard gecko and was picking up crickets and mealworms at petsmart, walked out with a 5 gallon bow front kit. I've now sold my 5 gallon and gecko and have a 29 set up.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for posting everyone! I loved reading everyone's story about their tank! Since allot have shared their story I thought I would share mine as well.
I have a 9 month old daughter that was born with hirschsprung's disease, needless to say that after staying in the hospital and two operations I am considered to be a stay at home mom. My husband and I moved into a house and found an old 10 gallon tank in the basement, he thought it would be a great hobby for me to do since I was home all of the time. We started with a fiddler crab named eve, then bought another 10 gallon tank for guppies, and then he bought me a 29 gallon tank for my birthday. There have been many nights where I was up all night with the baby and the sound of the fish tank seems to sooth her, its been a great hobby for us and very rewarding with all the time and effort put in our tanks, I may not have a big 55 gallon or anything elaborate but I'm still thankful for the joy the fish bring my little girl
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got into the hobby after babysitting my brother's ADFs. I wanted a pair of my own and started researching their needs. Started planning for a 5 gallon tank, and then found out about cycling and read about all the neat fish species and decide I wanted fish too. Reading that large tanks are easier to keep balanced made a good excuse and I now own a 20g long tank divided into 5 gallons for the frogs and 15 gallons for fish. Just added my first fish a couple days ago and will be adding frogs and the other inhabitants slowly.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com