Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you discover aquariums?

I think the title says it all. How did you get started? What was your first fish? When did you start? Etc.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I first wanted to raise bullfrog tadpoles, and my whole family got me a 2.5 gallon Minibow for my birthday, and I decided I wanted fish not to raise them, and then I got to get a 10 gallon because I told my mom 2.5 gallons was too small for anything. Lol I started going around the store looking for fish, and I wanted a electric yellow cichlid, and I had no idea about fish at all and I decided on getting 1 peppered cory and 2 julii cory's the very next day after I filled the tank with water.......and they all survived the fish in cycle! I had no idea what a cycle was in the first place back then, and this was only a year ago. Now I've progress dot a 16 gallon planted, and a 2.5 gallon mini bow and I've discovered the awesomeness of fish and fish keeping!!

Nils

Old 03-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My first real aquarium was a 29g kit the spouse got my as a surprise Christmas gift in 2003. I'm pretty sure my first fish were platies. We lived in a townhouse so it was set up so that the front could be seen from the living room and the back from the kitchen.

I just dug up some pics, what a crazy mess! Platies, a GBR, 3 spot gourami, a BN, kuhlis and queen loaches. They all lived for a long time though.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425748484.139198.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	266619

It's hard just to look at this.. My first was a dare from my cousin to have a fish like he did. I had a black moor goldfish in a 2.5 gallon tank. I had no idea cycling existed and dosed so my chemicals to try and get the water clear. He died in a week of Ich. Since then I have done hours and hours and some more hours of research and set up what would be my 45g. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425748620.547407.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	266620

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My parents had one when I was younger. Eventually once the last fish died they just took it down but once I was on my own I got some

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

We had Betta's growing up from begging momma in Walmart lol. Then I wanted a fish tank and used the science fair as an excuse to get a 10 gallon and 4 fancy goldfish. Big mess. But I won 3rd place and some prize money for my feeding experiment! Then I upgraded the 10 to a 20 for my birthday one year.... Then I realized how much I was limited to my choices on stocking with that size so I used my Christmas money to buy my current 36 Bowfront setup. Crazy how once our fish bug bites we always want bigger and better tanks and fish!

Old 03-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneypaige690 View Post
We had Betta's growing up from begging momma in Walmart lol. Then I wanted a fish tank and used the science fair as an excuse to get a 10 gallon and 4 fancy goldfish. Big mess. But I won 3rd place and some prize money for my feeding experiment! Then I upgraded the 10 to a 20 for my birthday one year.... Then I realized how much I was limited to my choices on stocking with that size so I used my Christmas money to buy my current 36 Bowfront setup. Crazy how once our fish bug bites we always want bigger and better tanks and fish!

Or smaller!!! We have a 55g that we do want to upgrade but I have really been into small aquariums with neo shrimp and nano fish lately!

Old 03-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela1108 View Post
Or smaller!!! We have a 55g that we do want to upgrade but I have really been into small aquariums with neo shrimp and nano fish lately!
Yup! Not long after getting into it I had 12 good-sized tanks, the largest was a 75g. A few years out of the hobby now my largest is a 16g.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a way I almost think the smaller tanks are more challenging??! Smaller room to scape and harder to get the correct occupants.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think smaller tanks are harder just because, even though it may be less water, you usually have to do more frequent water changes. It's harder to keep the chemistry stable.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tags
aquarium, cover

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com