How did you get Your Significant Other Into Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife doesn't get into the hobby like I do bit she has come around quite a bit. I think what finally got her over e hump was when I brought two ADF home. She loved to watch them which I then was able to talk her into getting another tank for our room. It takes time.

Well, I think she has come to just accept my hobby. She never liked me spending so much time on my tanks and one day while she was vacuuming she swung her arm right into the front of a tank. 30 gallons of water all over the carpet with fish flopping everywhere. Luckily I was home to sort everything out. Since then she has felt guilty and let's me do what I want now. Until she finds out my plans for 6 tanks going in my closet.

Well, I wouldn't say my husband is into fish tanks...but when your spending you life with yours trully ;), "resistance is futile"! LOL! He has decided to except them. I know he is just waiting and hoping for the day I don't want them anymore! LOL!

My gf and I already decided on a small zoo. She wants lizards. So in her craft room she can have them. Wen we get married and get our house the basement will be my man cave with 2 200 gallon tanks and a tv and the dogs will rome the house. Truth is we are both animal people. Except for cats. We both cannot stand cats. But she knows I love the ocean and the water and the fish tanks put me at ease. And in her mind I do alot of other things that are dangerous I e motorcycle riding and firefighting so for her. Time working on the tanks is a time she can keep an eye one me

My wife and I have always been accepting of each others hobbies. Because of that - I've never felt the need to push her into the hobby. I just make sure to keep the tank clean and attractive and let her enjoy watching the fish. She does to a point - but not enough to really engage. I am quite sure she is tired of hearing about the nitrogen cycle.

My girlfriend is quite similar to yours, if we were to move in I can only have 1 as large as I want. I was only thinking of 300 but still:p.

As of now she doesn't really care what I have in my house so as of now I'm not worrying.

Hehe, my boyfriend made me so happy a few days ago. We were in the process of packing up our old apartment, including the tanks, and a friend was helping us. He was apprehensive about moving the 30 gallon in the living room, then saw the 20, 5, and 1.5 in the bedroom and was wondering why the heck I had 4 fish tanks. After asking why I didn't just put them all in the 5 gallon and save space and just leave the other tanks (why not, because the Bettas would kill each other, the puffers would eat everyone then die, and because I have freshwater and brackish fish, not to mention the bioload, lol) he said I should have less fish. And my boyfriend piped in immediately with "No, she should have MORE fish!" It made me happy. He is also happy that in the new place we managed to fit all but the 1.5 gallon into the living room, kitchen, and dining room so they are more visible to visitors so he can show them off more.

I got my husband into aquariums by telling him I was either getting an aquarium or another dog. I had a saltwater tank set up in 48 hours. Lol. Now we are opening a store - so I can safely say I have him hooked.

The fish were here already LOL so had the upper hand. But as a compromise when out and about looking or a special mission to pick up a fish(s) if he sees something that really interests him and when he asks "do you have somewhere / tank they can be kept in" usually I do (one benefit of suffering from MTS and tanks set up for several different water needs). Now the youngest is wanting a monster koi so to my surprise he's researching setting up a waterfall / sump for the 1500g water trough/pond.
Though there's one fish/creature he really wants and its just not happening!!! I don't do "snake like" in my tanks LOL so no Moray(s)

I love these stories!

My bf doesn't really argue with me, he just likes that I get all my tanks cheap from kijiji. He doesn't like the maintaining of tanks...he will not change the water or do research of fish....he tells me which fish he likes and I tell him if they work or not. He does enjoy watching them and feeding the fish...oh and when people come over he loves to show off the tanks and talks about the fish using their "pet" names it's really cute bc I can hear the excitement in his voice....likes to give people a little background o the fish too like this one doesn't like that fish or these two are mating ext lol

Back
Top Bottom