How did you get Your Significant Other Into Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my GF is not a huge fan of aquariums but she doesn't MIND them. She had some traumatic experience with a fish when she was little or something :facepalm:

She's already warned me if we ever move in together I'm only allowed 1 aquarium (she did say it could be as large as I wanted, hello 500gal :brows: )

Anyways, anyone try to get your significant other into aquariums? How did you do it? I'm starting a SW and I'm thinking she's going to like that...who doesn't love nemo!

Hmm... Try to involve her in it. Let her feed the fish or maybe have her pick out a fish for your tank and name it. Get her attached to one of the fish and she might get more into it. I guess I got lucky, my boyfriend had never kept fish or really had much of an interest in it, then I moved in with my angelfish and he decided they were awesome. After I lost them and got my green spotted puffers he really fell in love. He even helps with water changes every so often! I think that may have something to do with him feeling the need to carry the heavy buckets so I don't have to, though. But he did get me my new tank for my last birthday so we could have a tank in the living room as well as the two in the bedroom. Good luck! I don't know what I would do if I were limited to one tank, I would have to chose between brackish and fresh...

Ha good idea! My future plan is to get her a super big walk in closet as a barter for another tank :) Or I get a man cave which will just be an aquarium lol

I also encourage anyone to share funny stories as well :p

I forgot about bartering. That is always a good idea. Give her something she wants in return for something she wants. A walk in closet, nice pair of shoes or jewelry, or maybe even a nice trip that she wants to take. I seem to remember a cruise working for one member on here! And if all else fails... Man caves are always nice. Hey, I'm a girl and I would love a man cave, haha. My boyfriend and I are in agreement that whenever we get a house I can have a fish room and he can have a band room. And I get to make the living room awesome with a couple big tanks, too. Then again, I'm lucky and he likes the fish.

I just set up my first tank while she was at work. 45 gal in the living room. This is why I get a million phone calls when I take the day off. LOL

Oh and I let her pick the first two fish that went into the tank... It's been 3 years and those scissor tails are still her favorites!!!

Choonchiesback said:
I just set up my first tank while she was at work. 45 gal in the living room. This is why I get a million phone calls when I take the day off. LOL

I went that route with my mom and a cat once. She was not happy. In fact, I think I did it with a tank once too. Just took the tank I had lying around in the garage and set it back up while she was gone because I caught some minnows in a local canal. Then when they died I managed to talk her in to stocking it again. I was a sneaky little kid. Oh, and my first tank got started like that too. My aunt was in town and my betta had just died. I was heartbroken and she told my mom she was taking me to get a new betta. We came home with a 10 gallon kit. Her idea, not mine, although I was thrilled. Luckily my mom just couldn't tell her no, even though she was pretty pissed.

And yes, once we can settle down in a house we own, I am determined to make it awesome. I want at least 2 120+ display tanks, one fresh and one salt. And a room for breeding and raising live food. {mod edit}

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked my boyfriend for a long time to let me get a small tank. He wasnt into it what so ever. Finally he said "If we are gonna get a tank, lets do it right" Well we went to our LFS and bought a pretty 29 gallon setup. From then on he bought a 36 gallon, a 10 gallon, and now our new 75 gallon. His money, his thing now I guess lol. but I love it

I like the idea of letting them pick out the first fish! Of course I'll have to give her a list cause she'll probably pick the mandarin goby or some tangs which will be no good in a brand new small 29gal!

No idea on the snakes...I think I might side with your BF on that one. And birds...DEF not my thing. There is an aquarium store in Atlanta called the Avarium and they sell fish and birds. I can't even go in there cause the birds are so fricken annoying.

I had started minimizing my creatures (not acquiring new ones) as I have an opportunity to travel with my husband to Europe. But when I redecorated our bedroom, I had the perfect wall for a bow front tank. So I couldn't resist. When he finally came home for a visit, I didn't say a word, hoping that he wouldn't flip out. To my total surprise, he loves the tank...I mean really really loves the tank. And of course the new 10 gallon shrimp tank in the sunroom went completely unnoticed..that was good:)
He even wanted to go to the fish store with me to look for new options. And when he calls he asks if I am watching my fish. I have had many tanks over the years but never on in my bedroom. I just can't believe how different this tank is just by virtue of location.

I had started minimizing my creatures (not acquiring new ones) as I have an opportunity to travel with my husband to Europe. But when I redecorated our bedroom, I had the perfect wall for a bow front tank. So I couldn't resist. When he finally came home for a visit, I didn't say a word, hoping that he wouldn't flip out. To my total surprise, he loves the tank...I mean really really loves the tank. And of course the new 10 gallon shrimp tank in the sunroom went completely unnoticed..that was good:)
He even wanted to go to the fish store with me to look for new options. And when he calls he asks if I am watching my fish. I have had many tanks over the years but never on in my bedroom. I just can't believe how different this tank is just by virtue of location.

Aww the old sneak-a-roonie. I think that only works well if your a lady :)

cerulean_blue said:
Aww the old sneak-a-roonie. I think that only works well if your a lady :)

I think we do have an advantage there, haha. But I think giving her a list and letting her pick is a great idea. Get her in on the research, too, so she can go by more than just appearances.

My bf went with me to a lfs and flipped out when he saw a tank of julies. I had an empty 75 at the time so it worked out. But he went crazy looking up info about then and trying to track down the guy that sold them.
I say take her and let her pick out some kind of fish then let her research it's requirements. Just bring her in for the whole process of decorating and everything. If that doesn't work, try bribery. :angel:

rebelyeller89 said:
My bf went with me to a lfs and flipped out when he saw a tank of julies. I had an empty 75 at the time so it worked out. But he went crazy looking up info about then and trying to track down the guy that sold them.
I say take her and let her pick out some kind of fish then let her research it's requirements. Just bring her in for the whole process of decorating and everything. If that doesn't work, try bribery. :angel:

Oh that's cute!

I gave up trying with my bf, and I don't think it's important to get him interested in this hobby. He doesn't mind it either. Im not into the things he's into too, so it makes for a good balance, especially when it comes to cheap craigslist tanks ;) he keeps me from spending too much and getting overwhelmed.

Yea I'm not really crazy about gettin her into it, it'd just be nice. I help her not spend so much on clothes and she tries to prevent me from spending too much on fish

Funny observation - I've noticed all girls have responded to this thread :p

My Mum is my other she doesnt dislike them like she will ask if my fish are okay and stuff and she will normally take me to the aquarium if i need to but mostly its just me that cares about my lovies

HA cute Jason...

Anyways! I am almost done cycling my 29gal, going to check on Friday. Then me and the girl are heading to the lfs so she can pick out 2 clowns! I think letting her pick out the fish is the best decision for any other people out there who are interested.

We first just had fish, then I wanted to get some shrimp and got some Amano shrimp for the big tank, got one of those leaflets of shrimp care at the petshop and then she pursuaded me into getting a Nano tank, ever since then she's hooked now wants to get another, shes now totally addicted to shrimps....and some tetra types.

Back
Top Bottom