How do you care for your fish on the way home from the store..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you transfer your fish home from the store?

• Hold them in your hand

Votes: 36 24.2%
  • Have a passenger hold them

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Toss them in the seat beside you

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Have a "fish seat" carrier for them

Votes: 23 15.4%

• Total voters
We don't drive, so we carry them. We live a five minute walk away from a large industrial estate pet shop that deals with a large variety of fish. And a two/three minute walk from a local pet shop that deals with tropical and marine fish.

to all of you that are so serious about keeping your fish suspended and free from movement, you do realize that those fish took a plane ride from wherever to wherever, were in a truck and tossed into the store right?

Passenger has to hold mine my Jeep is bumpy! I share your pain dkpate Walmart is 20 mins away(refuse to buy fish there) Petsmart is 45 mins away (they never have the fish I want) and the really good store is 1 hr and 15 min away but totally worth the trip! Plus add cows to the list of critters to dodge on the way...lol

I like the 'fish car seat' idea ;0

but seriously, I have a small soft-sided beverage cooler that keeps them insulated from big changes in temperature; that's the only concern I have (and in Ohio, that car will be either freezing or baking depending on season). Keeps the bag(s) from rolling around too.

I will hold them in my hand, maybe in a cloth shopping bag as dizzcat suggested so that it's dark and they don't freak out more than they will be :D

I've got a beer box holding some junk from the last time I cleaned my bar sitting in the passenger seat. Nothing sharp or anything in there. I just wrap the shopping bag around their back and sit it upright in the box with a shirt or towel to keep them propped up.

A 5 gallon bucket half full of water put the bag in there have an inverter and run a heater to keep the bucket at 78. (a 75w inverter is like $30 runs a 50W heater no problems)

A 5 gallon bucket half full of water put the bag in there have an inverter and run a heater to keep the bucket at 78. (a 75w inverter is like $30 runs a 50W heater no problems)

at first this seemed a lil excessive... but then again depending on the length of your ride.. they would be fully acclimated to the temp of your QT tank i suppose.... now if you could only set up a drip acclimation rig for the ride... you could just drop them straight into the tank when you got home!

oh.. and my wife holds my fish in the passenger seat.

I don't live very far from the LFS, so usually I just prop the fish bag on the passenger seat with my purse. But if it is winter or cool outside, I keep the bag between my legs for warmth. Although once when I was returning some fish to the store, the inevitable happened. Yep, the bag leaked and it looked like I wet myself. BUt hey, I got the fish back safe and sound!

I get all my fish double bagged, extra water/O2 and I bring a towel & a canvas drawstring bag with me to put them into. Keeping them in the dark cuts down on stress.
They ride atop the folded towel to cut vibration, which further relieves stress.

we live smack in between Pittsburgh and Cleveland so when we go to one of the larger aquatic stores we take a cardboard shipping cooler since it may be a few hours before we return home

Since I have to drive them 100 miles to get home, I bring a blanket with me and wrap them up in the back seat, and stick something in front of them so they won't go flying if I have to slam on my brakes for deer/turkeys.
With the bettas, I get a washcloth or something to wrap around them, and then put them in the cup holders.

you dont have to drive a hundred miles to get fish, you know, you can order them online and it wouldn't cost you as much as traveling 100 miles...no offense but thats a little extreme:infinity:

i got ours double bagged, then put in a paper bag as well. i then wrapped it up in a hoodie and put them on the passenger seat next to me. i kept the heat on all the way home (about 40miles).

Back
Top Bottom