How do you care for your fish on the way home from the store..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you transfer your fish home from the store?

• Hold them in your hand

Votes: 36 24.2%
  • Have a passenger hold them

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Toss them in the seat beside you

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Have a "fish seat" carrier for them

Votes: 23 15.4%

• Total voters

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I usually hold them by the top of the bag all the way home so they don't get to feel all the bumps in the road.... :)

i voted "toss them in the back seat"... i dont literally toss them, but i just set them either on the passenger side or back seat and hook the bag theyre in on something like a door handle so they dont roll around.

I pretty much put them in the backseat on the floor and put something next to them so they don't roll around. I put them on the seat once and i was with my grandmotheer. She thought she saw something out of the corner of her eye and slammed on the breaks. My fish went flying and hit the front seats and hit the floor. That was my last time putting them on the seat.

If I know I am going to be bringing fish home, I take a small empty ice cream bucket with me and put it on the passenger side seat. Then I put the bag in that to be sure they don't roll around. If I buy on impulse, I put the bag in one of those cloth shopping bags because it stays upright and is dark inside the bag.

Since I have to drive them 100 miles to get home, I bring a blanket with me and wrap them up in the back seat, and stick something in front of them so they won't go flying if I have to slam on my brakes for deer/turkeys.
With the bettas, I get a washcloth or something to wrap around them, and then put them in the cup holders.

I am 1.5 miles from home :D I put them on the front seat, with usualy my Ipod in front of it

I have an old car seat that I use. I make sure the fish is properly belted, then cover it with a blanket.

Usually on the floor of front passenger side or rear floor somewhere. I drive carefully and try to control the temperature in the car as close to 80 degrees as possible. They're usually opened in my tank (started aclimating) within 45 minutes MAX.

Sort of a related query:

How long does a fish have to be in its new home before you'd call it fully adjusted, on average???

I use a plastic shoping bag and hang that from the door lock. Keeps the heat off the bag and sways with the bumps on the way home. Oh, and my fish never really get fully adjusted, they all want to go back into the ocean.... ;)

Since I'm the passenger, I carry the fish. Usually I wrap them in a towel and place them on the floor in front of me between my feet. That keeps them from rolling a sloshing. I rarely drive to the LFS by myself (I friggin hate driving, only to and from work)

I have a cup holder, or put something in front of them in the passenger seat.

Seriously, I get most of my SW fish from a LFS that is a 2 hour drive...one way...So I use a cooler to place the fish in. With the cover on it keeps the fish pretty calm and safe.

If its cold outside, I'll toss a hot hands pack in the paper bag next to the fish to keep the temp of the water stable until I get home.

Back
Top Bottom